BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Air gap under doors

Up to now I had been happy with having the correct frame dimensions and using that in my door info elevations/schedules. Now I am needing to have the correct leaf size (as opposed to opening, and to wall opening) which requires the correct air gap below, with and without threshold. The closest I am coming to it is faking it with an 'opening oversize' at the bottom, but the frames obviously don't extend below the leaf/panel so I would need to 2D-tweak the door elevations to get the jambs to run past the bottom of the leaf and to the sides of the air gap.

I am trying both US and Int libraries and I can't get it to work.

Is there any way of doing this? I remember there was a somehow related thread probably a year or two ago but I can't find it.
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable
You will have to use doors from version 9 to do this trick
see this thread
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=101118&highlight=doors#101118
That would almost do it, but in that drawing the jambs are stopping with the leaf, so again it would need 2D tweaking to get the drawing right.

In 10 US there is a somehow similar parameter ('rough opening height'), as a result of which you get leaf and jambs stretching into the rough opening (?).
__archiben
Booster
Ignacio wrote:
Is there any way of doing this? I remember there was a somehow related thread probably a year or two ago but I can't find it.
'undercutting' and 'overcutting' - may not be of much use to you, but for reference cadimage's DWB can do this . . .

~/archiben
undercutting.jpg
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
JaredBanks
Mentor
Any update on this issue? I'm dealing with it right now. I'd like to use the standard archicad doors because they do everything else i need.

Outside of using a 3rd party door, the best solution I can think of is to separate the door and the frame into to separate objects: using an empty frame and then a door with the frame set to zero (via this trick: http://www.shoegnome.com/2010/09/20/frameless-doors/ ) This will work and be fully scheduleable for my needs, but it doubles the number of elements I need to manage. And that doesn't make me happy.

Is there a way to make a door leaf that has empty space below it? Seems like there would be some tricks like that, but then the scheduled size would be wrong. How about a threshold set to an invisible material? That just seems sloppy...

Anyone have any better ideas?
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Archicad Blog: www.shoegnome.com
Archicad Template: www.shoegnome.com/template/
Archicad Work Environment: www.shoegnome.com/work-environment/
Archicad Tutorial Videos: www.youtube.com/shoegnome
JaredBanks
Mentor
Also... Haven't checked to see if Modular Joinery can handle this. Anyone know? Otherwise I'll just check in the morning and report back if the answer is yes.
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Archicad Blog: www.shoegnome.com
Archicad Template: www.shoegnome.com/template/
Archicad Work Environment: www.shoegnome.com/work-environment/
Archicad Tutorial Videos: www.youtube.com/shoegnome
Anonymous
Not applicable
I know we would all like ArchiCAD to model any conceivable type of construction detail we may run across but sometimes it can't & when that happens we need a work around. Ignacio, I know you are very precise with your modelling but will a 1/2" air gap be all that visible in a 3D model? If you're concerned with a 2D elevation, why not use as patch (or a white fill)? You could always use a 1/2" deep beam, the width of the door, & SEO the beam out the wall leaving the gap. I don't know everything about ArchiCAD but, as they say in Santa Fe: "where there's a will there's a way".
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm trying to put a 20mm air gap underneath Cadimage doors in ArchiCAD 17 but it puts a piece of frame there.
Learn and get certified!