Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
License outage
Dear Customers, We are facing with an outage in our services in Azure. You may experience issues with the Azure-based functions, like licensing, BIMcloud SaaS, Learn Portal. We are working hard on this issue to make it fixed as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Can this object be a Wall ?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi everyone,

I'm a junior developper that just started in this company, i have no knowledge of archicad or gdl

So the company uses this custom object in archicad as if it was a wall, except (my boss says) because of how the wall is on the inside we can't make it as a "wall" or "composite wall" object, all we can do is make it as an "object" object.

The thing is, it looks like a wall, behaves like a wall but because it's an object and not a wall, I can't use the c++ api functions on it... (ACAPI_​Element_​GetRelations() for example, in order to get connected walls...)

So the question is, judging by the 2d section below, can you tell me if there is some way i can make this object into a wall ? maybe composite Wall or curtain wall ?
Or on the other hand, is there a list of rules my object needs to follow in order to be able to use the wall functions on it ?

My boss says it is the inside wooden panels (that are perpendicular to the wall itself) that prevent the object from being a wall.

coding the wall functions again for the object will take a tremendous amount of time and effort, and any evolution in the object will imply many code changes and introduce bugs so please help me find another way
4 REPLIES 4
Lingwisyer
Guru
I am assuming that that is not a section of a wall fragment by the plan view of it.

As far as I know, the wall tool works by extruding a shape along the length of a wall. Hence your wall panel cannot be used as a wall as it is an extrusion along the vertical axis instead of the horizontal.

Have you tried representing the profile in plan only with a wall fill?

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
Anonymous
Not applicable
Lingwisyer, Thank you for your answer,

I don't want you supposing anything so here's a 3d view maybe it can help furthermore, i didn't understand what a section of a wall fragment by the plan view of it was so i can't answer you
Have you tried representing the profile in plan only with a wall fill?
Do you mean that I create a wall object that draws (as a drawing only) this section alongside the wall representation ?
As i said i have only been using archicad for a few weeks and only to test an addon i'm developping in c++ so i have no knowledge of archicad or Architecture terms.
Barry Kelly
What Ling was saying is that you were not showing a section of the wall, but what you show is a plan view of the wall module.

As it is a module that seems to connect end to end then no, you can't do that with the wall tool.
As Ling said the wall tool can only extrude a profile along its length.

So you could create a wall that has the external claddings and the internal insulation (if there is any), but it can not place the vertical column and panels internally or the end connections.

These you could place separately as columns, but it will start to get messy trying to place columns inside all of your walls.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok thanks for clearing things out !

Well... Guess i'm stuck then... stuck with the tedious solution

Thanks everyone for your help