Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Create Subtype Template?

I'm losing it...I know I've created subtype templates before, I can see them, it looks like I even created some by accident. Can't find it here or in GDLTalk.

If anyone knows that, maybe they can also point me at the tip about using subtypes to copy parameters to other objects. Or did I dream that?
James Murray

Archicad 27 • Rill Architects • macOS • OnLand.info
4 REPLIES 4
Karl Ottenstein
James wrote:
I'm losing it...I know I've created subtype templates before, I can see them, it looks like I even created some by accident. Can't find it here or in GDLTalk.

If anyone knows that, maybe they can also point me at the tip about using subtypes to copy parameters to other objects. Or did I dream that?
Re-purposing a screenshot ... so ignore the red circles... but notice at the top of the GDL window that there is a check box for "Template". Click that and save your object and it becomes part of the template hierarchy whenever it is loaded.

It won't let you copy parameters to other objects so much as it will add the template object's parameters to the available parameters of another object whose subtype is switched to the new template object. Whew?

Of course, be sure to select the desired template for YOUR template before saving so that it inherits as many useful parameters as necessary and is placed in the correct position in the subtype hierarchy.

HTH,
Karl
2d-subtype.gif
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.9, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Karl wrote:
a check box for "Template"
As I say when my almost-3-year-old says she can't find something, 'are you looking with your eyes or with your mouth?'
James Murray

Archicad 27 • Rill Architects • macOS • OnLand.info
Karl Ottenstein
James wrote:
As I say when my almost-3-year-old says she can't find something, 'are you looking with your eyes or with your mouth?'
🙂 I'm not one to talk ... my wife always has to find my 'lost' things, usually right in front of me. 😉

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.9, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
tsturm
Newcomer
On this topic.

I have a question about using templates and how to edit them for global use.

I have a template from a library set I puchased. I do not like some of the default material choices.

So I found out where the template was located at and went to set it. Then it seems this template is based on another. When I tried to look for this one, "Equipment Element", I found that I could not find a simple GSM file. It was a plugin. As so, I could not edit this template. Does anyone have a suggestion about changing a template.

I am sure you are going to say don't do it. But I hate going through every part to change the materials and saving them.

How do I determine what is from one template and another template??? Could I use my own template instead?

TIA.
Terrence Sturm, Architect
AC 23 build
AC 24 build 5000