cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Ellipse hole in POLY2

Bruce
Advisor
Does anyone know how to create an ellipse hole in a POLY2 shape? I can create an ellipse by itself, and I can create a circular hole in a POLY2...but I can't figure out a way to do both smoothly.

I know how to run a loop command to create a series of lines that emulate an ellipse, but this is a series of lines, not a smooth ellipse.

I think I know the answer, but you never know...
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --
AC27 5003 INT Full | Windows 11 64 Pro | 12th Gen Intel i7-12700H 2.30 GHz | 64 Gb RAM | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 32 Gb
4 REPLIES 4
Jochen Suehlo
Advisor
I don't think that it is possible to get a smooth curve, because an ellipse is not a spline; I think you must use segmented poly-lines, where the points are positioned near enough to each other, that you cannot see the segmentation.
Isn't a circular POLY made with 4001 Mask-Value a segmented polyline as well?
Jochen Suehlo . AC12-27 . MAC OSX 14.4 . WIN11
GDL object creation: b-prisma.de
Bruce
Advisor
I don't know if a POLY2 with a 4000 mask is a series of lines or not...but I can't tell either on the screen or in a print out...and I don't have to define any RESOL to achieve this.

Never mind, with a step angle of 2°, and the below code, I've achieved the results I want.
FOR i = 0 TO 360 STEP 2
   PUT axis1/2*COS(i), axis2/2*SIN(i), 1
NEXT i 

If I then use a HOTARC2, the user can snap to this ellipse as well, completing the illusion.
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --
AC27 5003 INT Full | Windows 11 64 Pro | 12th Gen Intel i7-12700H 2.30 GHz | 64 Gb RAM | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 32 Gb
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Bruce,

I would use exactly the same method as you did to achieve this.
I think that 2-degree value may be a bit high (it is equivalent to a RESOL value of 180 (360/180 = 2). A 10-degree value would achieve the default RESOL value (36).
Of course it depends on how large that ellipse is, so you may actually need that high resolution.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Bruce
Advisor
Thanks Laszlo. I agree that it is a high resolution, but given I'm trying to mimic a smooth (not faceted) curve, and the processor overhead for 2D would be quite low, I'm not too concerned about it. I might revisit the appearance at a higher degree step, to see if it's acceptable at the desired output scale.
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions

Start a new conversation!