cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.
SOLVED!

Finding a solution to my specific window

ZephThomDrafter
Visitor

Hey All!

Wanted to get some assistance as i am pretty new to AC and am currently testing it out with the 30-day trial. I do mainly small residential renos and additions and deal with a lot of customers that like to have transoms over sliding windows. I have the issue that there is no window out of the box that represents this in the software afaik. Does anyone have a solution to this. I know ganging is an option, but these plan also go to my estimators so they can order windows and having them listed as separate window is no a good solution, as they are ordered as one unit. This is one of those things that really makes justifying keeping this software over autocad debatable. I have attached some images of the windows we regularly use. 

Operating system used: Windows

Screenshot 2024-05-21 112029.jpg

Screenshot 2024-05-21 120221.jpg

  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution

All units are based on the working units ... so, yes, any downloaded objects will use Imperial measurements for you... it's just that the default sizes will look odd because of fractional inches from conversion from what could have been even metric measurements.

Somehow a post I made got lost or I forgot to submit... the windows I showed you, while casements, can certainly be used if you set the MVO to not show the opening lines and define the operation type in your schedule.  Your window manufacturer will be happy enough.  Other than opening lines, I'm not really sure why it matters so much that the window slides in 3D... unless you plan on having images showing the windows open.

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.7, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Karl Ottenstein

You can of course model any kind of window as a single element via Library Part Builder or a 3rd party add-on, but the two windows you show are in the standard library...for some countries.  It is important to always say what version (presumably 27 since you are on trial) you are using and what localization (USA, FRA, SPA, AUS, etc) as each country's library differs in some aspects...USA differing the most from the rest of the world as far as windows and doors go.

These two windows in the USA library as examples seem to do what you want?  The parameters are weird, as you give the overall height, then the height of the casements... and the difference is the height of the transom or hopper/awning...

Screenshot 2024-05-21 at 10.19.48 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-05-21 at 10.18.28 AM.png

AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.7, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB

For some reason it is not showing the version, even though I did mention it. I'm using the AC27 USA version. And I have seen that for some reason this version is gimped out of some of the better options compared to other localizations. And I'm not familiar with the part builder or add-ons.

The windows that I show in my message are the USA library.  Can you explain why these don't provide what you need?

What i need to portray are SLIDING windows with a transom, not casements.

Lingwisyer
Guru

Lingwisyer_1-1716340824995.png

Lingwisyer_0-1716340725649.png

This is not another of the many basic layouts missing from the US library is it?

I believe you can download the basic INT windows from bimcomponents.com from within AC if need be.

As far as I know, none of the windows available in AC can do frame profiles like you have shown in your second image.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660

Yes, unfortunately this, and many more, are part of the missing basics not included in the US library for god knows why. If I could get the INT windows from BIMcomponents, would I still be able to input the measurements in imperial and not metric, as that is just not an option that is viable.

Solution

All units are based on the working units ... so, yes, any downloaded objects will use Imperial measurements for you... it's just that the default sizes will look odd because of fractional inches from conversion from what could have been even metric measurements.

Somehow a post I made got lost or I forgot to submit... the windows I showed you, while casements, can certainly be used if you set the MVO to not show the opening lines and define the operation type in your schedule.  Your window manufacturer will be happy enough.  Other than opening lines, I'm not really sure why it matters so much that the window slides in 3D... unless you plan on having images showing the windows open.

That's good to know its not based off the window itself. And if possible i would like to be able to show the customer the windows from an open pov as well. Some customers like to see how much airflow they will be getting and have trouble visualizing it themselves.

Setup info provided by author