cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Forward Migration Help Needed!

JGoode
Expert
Hello,

I have an issue whilst forward migrating an object. In the old version of the object the is defined variable using the following;
VALUES 'trunktypeX' '0 none','1 coniferous','2 decidous','3 shrub'
As you can see it says '2 decidous' rather than deciduous...This is corrected in the latest version of the object but I want to be able to add a line of code into my forward migration script to be able to basically change that variable definition to the new definition. I just don't know how to do it and I can't seem to find anything about it online. Changing the old object isn't an option due to it being used by other people and it would definitely cause problems. Thanks in advance for any help.
ArchiCAD 23

Windows 10
8 REPLIES 8
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
I would say it is a matter of putting
if trunktypeX = '2 decidous' then
trunktypeX = '2 deciduous'
endif
in the Forward Migration script.

Or is this what you have tried?
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
JGoode
Expert
Erwin wrote:
I would say it is a matter of putting
if trunktypeX = '2 decidous' then
trunktypeX = '2 deciduous'
endif
in the Forward Migration script.

Or is this what you have tried?
I have not tried this, I didn't know the best way to scripting it. I will let you know how it goes, thanks.
ArchiCAD 23

Windows 10
JGoode
Expert
JGoode wrote:
I will let you know how it goes, thanks.
It didn't seem to work sadly.

Edit: Got it working, just had to define it in the new object too
ArchiCAD 23

Windows 10
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Great
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
JGoode
Expert
Erwin wrote:
Great
Hi, I have another issue with forward migrating. Basically I have 2 versions of the same object, one of which is an upgrade from the previous object. However the issue is that on one object
A = 0.95 
and
 B = 2.2 
but on the new object those are the other way around so
 A = 2.2 and B = 0.95
I can't seem to work out how to basically make them switch over using the forward migration script. Thanks for any help.
ArchiCAD 23

Windows 10
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
With forward migration script, put A in placeholderB and B in placeholderA, then turn B into placeholderB and A into placeholderA?
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
JGoode
Expert
Erwin wrote:
With forward migration script, put A in placeholderB and B in placeholderA, then turn B into placeholderB and A into placeholderA?
I don't understand what you mean, would you be able to give an example please?
ArchiCAD 23

Windows 10
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
I would use placeholder parameters. So put parameter A in a parameter placeholderB, etc. Then change B to be placeholderB.

I am not sure how the migration script works excactly, but I would say it runs once you load the newer library part and looks for the old part to change parameters as needed. Changing existing parameters around might not work though.

So yeah, big disclaimer, I've never bothered making replacement parts. Most of our 'custom' library parts are just simple 2D symbols and a large collection of custom parametric door leafs that we generally copy / paste as needed in to project specific libraries so they can be freely edited.
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5