Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Get the Modular Joinery object!

Thomas Holm
Booster
I'd just like to push this http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=135321#135321
a little more.

Ralph Wessel has created a hugely flexible window/door/panel/storefront/curtain wall GDL object, called Modular Joinery. It was commissioned by Graphisoft U K and is distributed to their Archicad subscribers, and for similar purpose to other distributors.

I've been using it for a week or so now, and I find it extraordinarily good, and something I've been wishing to have for a long time. Not only is the object itself working very well, it also has a new, simple yet very creative and useful UI (user interface), and also comes with a 22-page user manual!

If you have an Archicad subscription, immediately ask your distributor to supply you with this GDL object, and if he/she doesn't have it, to get it from Graphisoft U.K.!

I'd also like to send my sincere thanks to Graphisoft U K who've had the wit to engage one of the most distinguished GDL programmers for this task, and to share it with the user community this way. And of course, to Ralph!
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
145 REPLIES 145
aahatimo
Newcomer
Barry,
Big duh on my end! I knew I had see it someplace. Thanks!
tim hanagan
aaha! design studio durango, co
27" retina 5k iMac 4ghz i7 os 10.13.6 m395x 4 mb, 32gb ram, 512 gb ssd ac 22 current
15" retina mbp 2.6ghz 1mb 16gb ac 22 current[/size]
Achille Pavlidis
Enthusiast
I downloaded the modular joinery object.

I cannot change the materials of the frame from the ones that come standard...

anyone else has the same problem????
Mac OSX 13.6.6 | AC 27 INT 5003 FULL
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Achille wrote:
There are 2 places that materials can be set (referring to the attached image):
  • 1. In the 2D/3D Appearance panel. Click on the 3D tab and select the global materials. These materials will be applied across the whole object.

2. In the Detailed Specification panel, you can override the global materials if the selected frame is different. Just check the box under the frame menu and pick the required material.
Has the manual for this object been made available through BIMcomponents too?
Ralph Wessel BArch
Software Engineer Speckle Systems
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ralph wrote:
Achille wrote:
  • 1. In the 2D/3D Appearance panel. Click on the 3D tab and select the global materials. These materials will be applied across the whole object.

2. In the Detailed Specification panel, you can override the global materials if the selected frame is different. Just check the box under the frame menu and pick the required material. Has the manual for this object been made available through BIMcomponents too?
  • I did not end up with it, maybe it's not there or I just missed it.
    The last manual for MJO that I have is for 14.
Anonymous
Not applicable
And when I tried to download it again from within AC16 with new build 3270, MJO is not there, so could not see if manual was something I missed last time I did download MJO from within AC-16.
Bug?
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
lec1212 wrote:
And when I tried to download it again from within AC16 with new build 3270, MJO is not there, so could not see if manual was something I missed last time I did download MJO from within AC-16.
Bug?
I just tried it now (with 3270) and it was still available. However, the object is still missing some images for the user interface. Hopefully GS will sort that out soon.

While the manual is unavailable elsewhere, you can download it here. It hasn't been revised from the earlier version, but the new additions are based on all the same concepts.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Achille Pavlidis
Enthusiast
Ralph wrote:
  • Thanks, Ralph.
    Well, I tried to change the materials from the 2D/3D Appearance panel. And there is no way to change the frame material. It always stays as aluminium and wood.
    Note: This happens in the Modular Door. Yesterday when I searched for the Modular Window it wasn't available on the BIM components portal. Today it was, so I downloaded the Modular Window, which works OK on the materials.
    I think there is some bug with the materials on the Modular Door Because you can change the material on the single frame, but the material seems to be on the outside instead of the inside.
    Also, in your screenshot I read "frame" and "mulion" whereas I see "sash" and "rail". How is that?

Mac OSX 13.6.6 | AC 27 INT 5003 FULL
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ralph wrote:
lec1212 wrote:
Bug?
I just tried it now (with 3270) and it was still available. However, the object is still missing some images for the user interface. Hopefully GS will sort that out soon.

While the manual is unavailable elsewhere, you can download it here. It hasn't been revised from the earlier version, but the new additions are based on all the same concepts.
Well this morning MJO was available in default.tpl of build 3270 so that's a good thing.
And thanks for the MJO manual link, as it appears at first glance to be newer than the one I had, or at least it's a larger file by approx 100kb.
Hopefully that means there is more info in it.
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Achille wrote:
I tried to change the materials from the 2D/3D Appearance panel. And there is no way to change the frame material. It always stays as aluminium and wood.
I'm trying to reply, but ArchiCAD-Talk is currently falling over with:
"Got java.io.IOException (Resetting to invalid mark): http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/posting.php"
...every time I try to add an image. I'll try again later today
Ralph Wessel BArch
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Achille wrote:
I tried to change the materials from the 2D/3D Appearance panel. And there is no way to change the frame material. It always stays as aluminium and wood.
I checked the original the objects and they seemed to be working fine. I can't check what's happened with the versions on BIMcomponent because GS has password-locked them (but didn't communicate with me). Some of the UI images are also missing on BIMcomponent, so you may not always see the same thing as the attached images. There are up to 3 places you can change the materials, but in most cases the first is sufficient:
  • 1. From the 2D/3D Appearance panel. Most doors/windows are comprised of only 1 or 2 different materials, but many GDL objects force you to fill in 6 or more. With this panel, selecting additional materials is only necessary for the exceptions. The frame interior is wood, the exterior is metal. If the window is selected, you can see that there are choices for the configuration of materials in the rails/sashes: a) all matching the exterior; b) Mix of exterior and interior; c) All matching the interior material. In this case, option a is selected.

2. In some cases, the unit might be divided into multiple subframes. Each frame might be a different type and/or material, in which case the option to Inherit the properties of the parent frame should be turned off (see image). Then the frame menus appear and a checkbox allowing custom materials to be selected. Note that the adjacent parent frame continues to be the main materials and a division appears between the parent and sub-frame.

3. Further customisation of individual door/window/panel frames is also supported. If a window within the custom subframe is selected, there is an option for the rails/sashes of the window to also use custom materials. The rail has been changed to have both an exterior and interior material and the box has been checked to override the materials.
Note that in every case the user interface shows the minimum settings required, e.g. custom materials only appear if you need them. In most cases, the materials can be set with just 1 or 2 clicks.
Ralph Wessel BArch