Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Guidelines to create Opening Lines in 3D for doors/windows?

Durval
Enthusiast
Hello,
My searches on this topic were not successful.
Does someone have any tip on how to create 3d opening lines that show in sections/elevations and schedules for my custom doors and windows?
Is it just a matter of adding LIN_ commands to the 3d script?
What global variable (if any) should I use to make these LIN_s only visible when "Show Opening Lines in 3D Projections" are selected in Model View Options?
Thanks in advance.
--- www.dtabach.com.br ---
AC 24 BR – MacBook Pro 2,9 GHz Intel Core i7 16GB RAM Mac OS 10.14
8 REPLIES 8
David Maudlin
Rockstar
Durval wrote:
Is it just a matter of adding LIN_ commands to the 3d script?
Yes, if all you want is a solid line. No, if you want a dashed line. The LIN_ command only creates a solid line. for a dashed line the routine is more complex, creating the appearance of a dashed line with a series of spaced solid lines. You can take a look at how the standard ArchiCAD windows and doors do this, and possible just copy the subroutine into your doors and windows.
Durval wrote:
What global variable (if any) should I use to make these LIN_s only visible when "Show Opening Lines in 3D Projections" are selected in Model View Options?
There is not a Global Variable, the MVO is using the parameter name to communicate with the library parts, (look at the Master Scripts of the ArchiCAD library parts for the command LibraryGlobal), so if you use the same parameter name as the ArchiCAD library you will be able to use the existing MVO without creating you own LibraryGlobal.

In both cases looking at the ArchiCAD library parts to see how they work should help.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Durval
Enthusiast
Thank you very much David for the tips. They were very helpful.
I will explore the ArchiCAD objects as you suggested (but only when I'm not in such a tight deadline to deliver my window schedule!).
David Maudlin
Rockstar
Durval wrote:
I will explore the ArchiCAD objects as you suggested (but only when I'm not in such a tight deadline to deliver my window schedule!).
Good idea GDL can be a rabbit hole.

David
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Durval
Enthusiast
David wrote:
Good idea GDL can be a rabbit hole.

David
You always think you will solve things in less time that it is actually needed, but you keep going, telling to yourself "if I make a good tool, I'll save a lot of time in future"
rgarand
Booster
Is this the sort of thing I need to understand if I am creating custom door PANELS and want to show the opening lines too?
Robert J. Garand
ArchiCAD USA 27-Build 5001 USA FULL
Windows 10 Prof (64 bit) - Intel i9-10920X CPU 3.50 GHz - 128 GB RAM - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 5000
David Maudlin
Rockstar
rgarand wrote:
Is this the sort of thing I need to understand if I am creating custom door PANELS and want to show the opening lines too?
No. The other door options (frame, opening lines, etc.) will still be available, you are just adding a custom leaf to the door part.

David
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
rgarand
Booster
The opening lines do not seem to be coming thru when I am using a custom panel. I checked my global settings as well as the object's opening line settings.
Robert J. Garand
ArchiCAD USA 27-Build 5001 USA FULL
Windows 10 Prof (64 bit) - Intel i9-10920X CPU 3.50 GHz - 128 GB RAM - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 5000
David Maudlin
Rockstar
rgarand:

Works here. A few things to try:
1. Do the opening lines appear if you change to one of the standard door panels and leave all the other parameters as is?
2. Try viewing the door in 3D, Wireframe Mode, and see if the lines appear, maybe they are inside the door panel.

David
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture