Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Orientation GDL object

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is it possible to change custom 2d objects (GDL) to face upwards when I change orientation of the model view to 180 degree?

I use Archicad 20.
9 REPLIES 9
Barry Kelly
Can you show a screen shot of what you mean?

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
Can you show a screen shot of what you mean?

Barry.

I draw evacuation plans. So I need to rotate the whole screen 180 degrees to be able to show the symbol "Here you are" correct and therefore I changes the axis of the view. It want the 2D symbols to be rotated so that they are always displayed correctly even when the display is turned 180 degrees.

I've tried to read the GDL Reference Guide and insert som sort of 2d script but I can't figure it out.
ryark-2d-script-2.jpg
Barry Kelly
If you are just rotating the object then you can check symb_rotangle to get the angle of rotation.

But you are rotating the entire plan so effectively the object is not rotating at all.

Off the top of my head I can't think of a way to determine (in GDL) the rotation angle of the plan.
It might be there somewhere so if anyone knows please say so.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
If you are just rotating the object then you can check symb_rotangle to get the angle of rotation.

But you are rotating the entire plan so effectively the object is not rotating at all.

Off the top of my head I can't think of a way to determine (in GDL) the rotation angle of the plan.
It might be there somewhere so if anyone knows please say so.

Barry.

I want the symbols to always face upwards - even when a set direction to another angle.

Right now my work flow look like this. I make one plan/view for each evacuation plan and set out all the symbols for this view. Then a create another view, copy all symbols, rotate the plan, and also rotate the symbols. I want to avoid this moment and use same symbols in all drawings.

The symbol "North Arrow" do always face towards the north point. I want my 2D symbol to act like the north arrow and always face upwards. Text can be set to always display horisontal, even if you change the view och rotating the object.
Barry Kelly
If you are selecting the objects in plan and rotating them then symb_rotangle will allow you to 'undo' the rotation.

i.e. ROT2 -symb_rotangle

This will undo the rotation of an object no matter what rotation angle you set for it..

GLOB_NORTH_DIR is used if you want to use the north direction.

However if you are using the orientation to rotate the entire plan view then all objects will rotate as well - even the north point because you will be rotating the north direction with the plan.

Plain text has an option to always be readable no matter how it is rotated.
But I don't think it is possible for objects to automatically un-rotate if you use the page orientation to rotate the entire view.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
sinceV6
Advocate
Hi.

You can use REQUEST ("view_rotangle", "", angleViewRotation).

Best regards.
Barry Kelly
sinceV6 wrote:
Hi.

You can use REQUEST ("view_rotangle", "", angleViewRotation).

Best regards.
Yep, that is your solution.
zzz=REQUEST ("view_rotangle", "", angleViewRotation)
ROT2 -angleViewRotation
Thanks sinceV6

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
genarch
Enthusiast
Is there a way to keep the object horizontal, like text? I tried that piece of code but it didn't work. My scenario is in an apartment building. There are multiple unit type and each unit is a module. When the modules are placed the building shell file they get rotated and mirrored but I want the room labels to stay 'readable.' I don't want them upside down or sideways, and I don't want them to mirror, either.

The room tags are a custom object, by the way.
MacOS Sonoma

AC27&26, Artlantis 2020, TwinMotion

Mac Studio M2 Max 2024
Barry Kelly
I am not quite sure how your objects will behave when used in rotated and mirrored modules.
But a little trick I do is to add some text commands in the 2D script so you can see what is happening to your objects.
This will let you know what you need to do to un-rotate or un-mirror the text (or entire object).
TEXT2 0,0,SYMB_ROTANGLE      !!undo with ROT2 -SYMB_ROTANGLE
TEXT2 0,0,SYMB_MIRRORED      !!undo with MUL2 -1,1

zzz=REQUEST ("view_rotangle", "", angleViewRotation)
TEXT2 0,0,angleViewRotation      !!undo with ROT2 -angleViewRotation
If you use all 3 at once you will need to adjust the x/y co-ordinates so all the text is not on top of each other.
I sometimes change the pen colour in between so I know which piece of text is which colour.
Comment out or delete these when you figure out what is happening.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27