Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Password protection of 16 objects = a problem

Barry Kelly
The new password protection for objects created in version 16 is a nice option and provides much more security than the old "hide scripts".

So I welcome that, but it does cause one slight problem that the old "hide scripts" didn't have.

Now when you password protect an object you can't open the object without that password.
"That's the whole idea!" I hear you say.
But now we can't even open the parameter list to set default pens, fills line types etc., if they don't work in our customised templates.

At least with the "hide scripts" option we could see the parameters and would be able to change them to suit our custom setup and then re-save the object.

So now we have 2 choices.
Contact the person that created the object and ask them to save a version with custom settings - I'm sure they would love to do that for everyone.
Or use the object as is and change the settings everytime you place it.

Even selecting the object and saving that selection as a new object so that you have a new unprotected object that "Calls" the protected one doesn't work.

Anyone have any ideas for a solution?
I might have to make a wish for this one.
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
11 REPLIES 11
Barry Kelly
Thanks Laszlo.
Very much appreciated.
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Frank Beister
Advisor
Let the final user access at least to parameters.
Let the developer decide, which access should be possible.

Parameter access allowed per default, but possible to turn off.

I do not want to give access to all parameters of my objects, because the given away version is sometimes locked to certain settings and only the commercial one has free access to all parameters and settings. And I do not want, that my objects are translated in every language. Public domain is another thing, but if I give it for a feeless usage I, as developer, want to keep control.

Hiding all scripts isn't a good solution also. A lot of settings in my objects are done by numeric values, which offer full options first in the user interface. Optional access to the user interface would be appreciated and locking direct parameters access.

But you are right. The way it works now, is not very good.
bim author since 1994 | bim manager since 2018 | author of selfGDL.de | openGDL | skewed archicad user hall of fame | author of bim-all-doors.gsm