Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Timer function

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is there a Timer function in GDL?

Zak
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable
Timer in GDL
TomWaltz
Participant
There is a Date & Time function that you could probably use to calculate times, but I don't know of any explicit timer function.
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Tom for your reply

I didn’t mean Timer for date and time . I actually meant a Timer which allows me to execute a code say every 1min. but within GDL objects.

Is such thing possible.

Zaki
TomWaltz
Participant
mallasi wrote:
Thanks Tom for your reply

I didn’t mean Timer for date and time . I actually meant a Timer which allows me to execute a code say every 1min. but within GDL objects.

Is such thing possible.

Zaki
that's what I meant too.

Since there is no "timer" built in, you would have to make your own. I think the way to do this would be to run the Date/Time script and calculate the difference between a starting time and the current time.
Tom Waltz
Frank Beister
Mentor
You can't start a script with a delay, which would cause something like an own thread. The scripts are executed in certain program circumstances (3D rebuilt e.a.) ehch you can't influence(, but which would be very enlightening to know, if GS could give us a specified list.) You can use the date/time addon to check for a certain time, but you can do nothing else than to wait, or to check for it. No "run at 1:30 15''pm" possible.

What did you want to do?
bim author since 1994 | bim manager since 2018 | author of selfGDL.de | openGDL | skewed archicad user hall of fame | author of bim-all-doors.gsm
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hmmmm I thin it is going to be difficult.

I am trying to create a basic animation for a box objects in the GDL 3D window.
If I have to build my own timer in GDL, then can it be done this way:
1 - Capture the current time (T1) of the user’s machine
2 - Start loop to run every 10 seconds starting at T1.
3 - On entering the loop for the first time Draw a box object for an example.
4 – Continue loop.
5- IF T1 = (T1 + 25 sec.) then rotate the box object 10 degrees.
6- Then repeat (4) till the 3D window is shutdown.

Any ideas!
TomWaltz
Participant
Would I be considered mean if I recommended using a real animation program? Archicad is REALLY bad at object animation.

You could do this with Cinema 4D in about 5 seconds.
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
🙂 Not at all. I just like to cook one meal in one oven instead of three 😉

In other words, in AC I do 2D, 3D, Viz, and camera flyby. It is just that bit to animate the objects in AC that requires me to transfer all my work to Artlantis or 3D MAX.

At the end of the day, I only intend to make a basic animation not very complex.

Thank u all for the help.
TomWaltz
Participant
mallasi wrote:
🙂 Not at all. I just like to cook one meal in one oven instead of three 😉

In other words, in AC I do 2D, 3D, Viz, and camera flyby. It is just that bit to animate the objects in AC that requires me to transfer all my work to Artlantis or 3D MAX.

At the end of the day, I only intend to make a basic animation not very complex.

Thank u all for the help.
I run into the same problem. I can do all kinds of camera animation in Archicad (then composite the shots in Final Cut), but as soon as one thing needs to move, I break out the Exchange module and put it in C4D.
Tom Waltz