Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

dwg to pln

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have several drawing of furniture that I've gotten from Knoll etc. and they are dwg 3d files,,,I think. I was able to use them in VIZ and now I'm using archicad. Isn't there a way to import these? I tried but all I get is a light 2d image.

Any suggestions would bea ppreciated.

I sure hope one day I'll be able to help someone like I've been helped on this site.

Sharon
4 REPLIES 4
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Sharon:

You can try opening the files as objects. See this thread:
open a dwg file as a gdl object
This should enable the 3D model of the part, but there have been some parts that don't work.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you so much David!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi David,

I think the instructions are for an older version of archicad. I'm using 12. I was able to do it though by :

file>libraries and objects>open object>choose dwg file>save as>name(custom object macro).

Then open it as any other object.

Trouble is, some looked very strange (triangulated?) others came through with no parameter for materials, all came in with unusual scale.

Is there more to this than what I'm doing?

Thanks,
Sharon
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
sharon wrote:
...I think the instructions are for an older version of archicad. I'm using 12...
This can also depend on the selected Work Environment.
sharon wrote:
Trouble is, some looked very strange (triangulated?) others came through with no parameter for materials, all came in with unusual scale.

Is there more to this than what I'm doing?
Your experience is typical for parts that are created in another application, then imported into ArchiCAD, rather than written for ArchiCAD using GDL. There is not much to be done about the triangulation (but this should not affect renderings). Unless you know some GDL, you will not be able to make the materials parametric. You might have some control over the scale by changing the A, B and Height parameters of the parts. If you search this forum, you will find others with similar experiences.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14