Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Licensing
About all sorts of licenses, their management, Graphisoft ID, Graphisoft Store, License Manager Tool, etc.

Archicad on a Terminal server

Anonymous
Not applicable
We have a terminal server at work which has Archicad 10 installed on it, which we have setup so employees out of the office can user our licenses of Archicad, instead of giving them all USB key licenses. Sometimes when our users do not log out of a terminal session properly, or even for other unknown reasons, the terminal server says that this user is running more then one application of Archicad. Now this would not be a problem if our WIBU key didn't assign licenses to each copy that is for some reason open. I was under the impression that any user could have as many copies of Archicad open as they wanted with it only taking on license.

We are all running Archicad 1010 with Wibu key version 5.0, and Windows server 2003. Thank you for any help.
6 REPLIES 6
stefan
Advisor
While not an answer to this question, I was under the impression that graphics-intensive applications, such as ArchiCAD, were not really meant to be run on a Terminal Server.

How is performance? And how many users run ArchiCAD at the same time? Does it require powerful server hardware?
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Anonymous
Not applicable
Our terminal server hardware is top of the line and we only have one or two people using Archicad at once. Plus they only need to do little things like change dimensions etc.

Can anyone help us?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Alex,
We have been achieving this exact thing over our network across offices from Atlanta to London to San Francisco. The best way we have found is to use a program from HP called Graphics Share. You can find it on the following site.
http://www.hp.com/sbso/solutions/pc_expertise/article/remote_graphics.html
It supports open GL with minimal lag (depending on the bandwidth you have availible on your network). The only draw back as far as Archicad goes is the fact that you can not use the shift key. Which is easily worked around by using the guidelines.
Let me know if you need any more info about the way we are working with remote terminals.
Anonymous
Not applicable
alexwhite06 wrote:
We have a terminal server at work which has Archicad 10 installed on it, which we have setup so employees out of the office can user our licenses of Archicad, instead of giving them all USB key licenses. Sometimes when our users do not log out of a terminal session properly, or even for other unknown reasons, the terminal server says that this user is running more then one application of Archicad. Now this would not be a problem if our WIBU key didn't assign licenses to each copy that is for some reason open. I was under the impression that any user could have as many copies of Archicad open as they wanted with it only taking on license.

We are all running Archicad 1010 with Wibu key version 5.0, and Windows server 2003. Thank you for any help.
Hi I am quiet new with ArchiCad. We are trying to run ArchiCad 10 or 11 on a
Windows Server 2003 in Application Mode. Installs just fine, no errors. But when we try to start the version 10 it shows the start screen and then just quits without showing errors.And the version 11 shows an error that it is not supposed to be run on terminal server. Is there a workaround???

Thanx Holger
KenMcN
Contributor
alexwhite06 wrote:
...Sometimes when our users do not log out of a terminal session properly, or even for other unknown reasons, the terminal server says that this user is running more then one application of Archicad. Now this would not be a problem if our WIBU key didn't assign licenses to each copy that is for some reason open. I was under the impression that any user could have as many copies of Archicad open as they wanted with it only taking on license.
Hi. I'm afraid this is not going to be much help, but we are experiencing a similar problem in our office with a 20 keyserver licence. We frequently run out of licences only to find that a few users have been allocated two licences.

It seems to happen if you leave Archicad open while the machine is asleep (usually overnight), but this is not the only time, so it might not be part of the problem.

GS are aware of the problem, not sure if they know how to fix it...

Incidentally, you are correct that a user should only use up one licence, no matter how many copies they have open. There was a problem a while ago if you ran V9 at the same time as V10 - not sure if this has been fixed yet or not.

Please let us all know if you find a solution to this problem.
Kenny
V25 & 26 (fully patched); Mac Ventura, MacBook Pro M1 Max
Barry Kelly
KenMcN wrote:
Hi. I'm afraid this is not going to be much help, but we are experiencing a similar problem in our office with a 20 keyserver licence. We frequently run out of licences only to find that a few users have been allocated two licences.
I'm not sure of the exact settings because I don't have access to the right machine at the moment.
But in the software that runs the network WIBU-key there is a setting that can close a licence if it has not been in use for a certain number of minutes.
I think ours is set for 180 minutes.
Long enough for the user to ber inactive for a while (maybe a long lunch!) but short enough so that all unused licenses get freed up over night.

I found that even though archicad was being shut down or possibly when it crashed the license would not always get released.
Setting the time-out would force it to free the license.
I believe the user gets a save and quit dialogue if they are actually still on-line.
But the user should have saved the job anyway if you walk away for any extended period of time.

There was (still is?) an issue if a single user starts two different versions of Archicad that it will use two licenses.
Two or more sessions of the same version will only use one license.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11