Licensing
About all sorts of licenses, their management, Graphisoft ID, Graphisoft Store, License Manager Tool, etc.

Help with the very basics

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have just installed and watched the ArchiCAD 12 tutorials. I need to create a 3D model of a house along with all the windows, doors and services for a University Portfolio.

Are there any books and help that I can get to help with the very basics and getting started, as the tutorials are all pre-loaded with configurations and favorites.

I would be very very grateful of any help given.

Thank you

NStocks
49 REPLIES 49
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
When you are doing the tutorial, are you only watching the movie or are you also reading the PDF?
Because the PDF has a lot of info about the things you are doing. Many times based on what you read in the PDF you can search the Help file and it can give you a lot of info.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
laszlonagy wrote:
When you are doing the tutorial, are you only watching the movie or are you also reading the PDF?
Because the PDF has a lot of info about the things you are doing. Many times based on what you read in the PDF you can search the Help file and it can give you a lot of info.

I am just watching the video within ArchiCAD. Maybe I should read the pdf too.
Anonymous
Not applicable
NStocks wrote:
I am watching the tutorial again, so that I get more experience with it all. The ' zone ' tool, is this just like a outline as to where other elements will be places, and built up on, For instance, when they place a grid across the whole zone, as soon as another element is selected i.e. column, it will place a column at the intersection of the zone and grid ?
No, the zone tool is used to mark a volume inside a building. Its simplest use can be to just display something simple like its room name, area or volume on the plan in a zone stamp, or you can use it to do more complex things like schedules by listing all the objects that may fall in it, like doors or furniture etc.

I wouldn't worry too much about it to start with, just be aware of its capabilities. Get the basics done first.

And seriously, try to find someone to show you the basics in person. You will learn more in 10 minutes than you can by yourself in many hours!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Peter wrote:
NStocks wrote:
I am watching the tutorial again, so that I get more experience with it all. The ' zone ' tool, is this just like a outline as to where other elements will be places, and built up on, For instance, when they place a grid across the whole zone, as soon as another element is selected i.e. column, it will place a column at the intersection of the zone and grid ?
No, the zone tool is used to mark a volume inside a building. Its simplest use can be to just display something simple like its room name, area or volume on the plan in a zone stamp, or you can use it to do more complex things like schedules by listing all the objects that may fall in it, like doors or furniture etc.

I wouldn't worry too much about it to start with, just be aware of its capabilities. Get the basics done first.

And seriously, try to find someone to show you the basics in person. You will learn more in 10 minutes than you can by yourself in many hours!

I know, I would really like to be taught in person, I will ask one of my tutors tomorrow, but it's the last day of college and by the time we come back, the project would have had to be sent in already, plus he has just had his 2nd baby... so I don't think he will want to spent time with me.

NStocks
Anonymous
Not applicable
NStocks wrote:
...plus he has just had his 2nd baby... so I don't think he will want to spent time with me.
Some people are just selfish, aren't they!
Dwight
Newcomer
A child bearing man has better things to do than his actual job, what with all the tabloid interviews and all.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Well his first baby is 2 years old! but still even if he didn't have kids he still wouldn't help me.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Nstocks,

After you start, please show us which situation that you are facing!!

such as, "how do you create wall like this?" with some photo (search in google).

This is a much helpful method to let us know your process and teach you step by step, don't give up to use AC. Use it everyday, and ask questions everyday and read more article in this forum, you will learn a lot after 2 months!!
Anonymous
Not applicable
I haven't started it properly yet, I'm trying to get some experience with the elements first. Because i need to create 2 floors, is it better to make one large building then somehow add a floor into it, or is it better to use stories ( there will be stairs as well )

Thanks

NStocks
Dwight
Newcomer
A two storey building can be managed with layer visibility and not necessarily by creating separate storeys. You make layer sets to study different building aspects.

One of the advantages of separate storeys in a project is to force elements to relate directly to a storey level.....

Experiment with both ways and see what works for you. Most challenging in a situation like this is with what we call a "Split-level" dwelling.

Another factor is the floor plan cutting plane issue - where, in each storey, the slice is taken.....
Dwight Atkinson