cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

3D Projection Settings

Dave Jochum
Advocate
This occurs many times a day--I'll be working in plan with a tight zoom, I'll click on a 3d view in the navigator, then decide I want to view from an angle I haven't set up yet. So I'll go to Image/3D Projection Settings... to position the view, and since the plan was left in a zoomed in state I can't do the positioning without going back to the plan and zooming out first. There should be a way to zoom out in the 3D Projection Settings plan window. Is there and I'm just missing it?
Dave Jochum
J o c h u m A R C H I T E C T S http://www.jochumarchitects.com
MBP 16" (M1 Max) 64 GB•OS 13.5.2•AC 27 Silicon (latest build)
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm sure it happens to everyone. As far as I know, you're not missing anything.

If the camera target is within what you see on the 3D projection settings window, what I do is just drag the vector (changing the view point) and play with the Distance option.

Luc
Djordje
Ace
Dave wrote:
So I'll go to Image/3D Projection Settings... to position the view, and since the plan was left in a zoomed in state I can't do the positioning without going back to the plan and zooming out first. There should be a way to zoom out in the 3D Projection Settings plan window. Is there and I'm just missing it?
You are missing it. You can zoom Navigator Preview! And not only that - you can view from the side, with stories shown.

If you want the camera in the 3D settings zoomed window:

Shift click places the camera
CTRL click places the target
ALT click places the viewing direction vector

Now, I wish the three above worked in Navigator preview! Time to visit the Wishlist forum
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Dave Jochum
Advocate
Djordje wrote:
You can zoom Navigator Preview! And not only that - you can view from the side, with stories shown.
Yes, but that doesn't help in the situation I described. When you have the 3D Projection Settings window open you cannot access the Navigator Preview window.
Djordje wrote:
If you want the camera in the 3D settings zoomed window:

Shift click places the camera
CTRL click places the target
ALT click places the viewing direction vector
I use these, however, if you aren't zoomed out far enough to show the points where you want the camera or target, they are useless.
Dave Jochum
Djordje
Ace
Dave wrote:
Djordje wrote:
You can zoom Navigator Preview! And not only that - you can view from the side, with stories shown.
Yes, but that doesn't help in the situation I described. When you have the 3D Projection Settings window open you cannot access the Navigator Preview window.

Ooops ... you are right!

However, since the 3D is so much faster, i rarely have the need to go to the 3D settings. Maybe that is why I read your message wrongly?

The wish to zoom the 3D settings window is a long standing one, BTW ...
Djordje

HP Omen
Dave Jochum
Advocate
Djordje wrote:
...since the 3D is so much faster, i rarely have the need to go to the 3D settings.
You're refering to Open GL navigation in the 3D window? I'm glad to hear you say that, because it is way too slow on my machine due to my museum piece graphics card. I'll be getting a "real" card as soon as they're in stock. It's such a treat to work in SketchUp--even on my machine I can rotate around a model as quickly as I can move the trackball.
Dave Jochum
Djordje
Ace
"Dave Jochum wrote:
You're refering to Open GL navigation in the 3D window? I'm glad to hear you say that, because it is way too slow on my machine due to my museum piece graphics card.

Yep; I am walking through a big model with full interior without a glitch. Good graphics are NEEDED!
Djordje

HP Omen