Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

3d terrain

Anonymous
Not applicable
can i import 3d terrain from Google earth to Archicad 20 ?
5 REPLIES 5
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Short answer: no. The connection to google earth hasn't been around since ArchiCAD14 or 15, I think.

Long answer: probably through sketchup and importing sketchup file in ArchiCAD. Allthough the connection to sketchup might not be working anymore either. Google Earth itself is abandoned software too, as far as I know.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Are you sure about this, Erwin? You can still natively merge .KMZ files through the Interoperability menu, and Google Earth is still very active. I have a copy of Google Earth Pro on my desktop, and it works just fine. I believe the separate add-on to Google Earth in ArchiCAD hasn't been around because it was incorporated directly into the Merge function.
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
There hasn't been an update to Google Earth in more than 2 years, I have quite some issues getting it to behave in Windows10, I think they're more dedicated to having it run in browser, but I might be wrong.

The ArchiCAD connection addon is long dead though, I just checked, ArchiCAD17 is the last to support it.
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Erwin wrote:
There hasn't been an update to Google Earth in more than 2 years, I have quite some issues getting it to behave in Windows10, I think they're more dedicated to having it run in browser, but I might be wrong.

The ArchiCAD connection addon is long dead though, I just checked, ArchiCAD17 is the last to support it.
Erwin,
You have to use Google Earth PRO to be able to generate the .KMZ files. My build date is 8/18/17, so it's not that old, and I haven't updated it since I installed it.

What I'm saying is that there is no more Add-on because the Google Earth features have been incorporated into the main AC program, but have not disappeared.
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
I'll have a look at updating again, I also have pro (since they made it 'free') installed.

I must admit I do not use the import terrain feature much, since there isn't much terrain to speak of around here, at least in term of height differences.

Topographic detailed drawings are available for free in GML format in Netherlands as well. It's a pain in the behind to get imported to ArchiCAD, but has a lot more detail than Google Earth.
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5