Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

A unique roof with 2 different slopes

corminbo
Contributor

Hello all, 

I want to know how to create a single roof with 2 different slopes.

If I create two roofs, the connection between them doesn't work in section. See attached.

Thank you for your help,

Fab

2 roofs.JPG

2 roofs 2.JPG

2 roofs.JPG
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution

You can use a Multi-plane Roof.

Change your Geometry Method to Multi-Plane (default: G) then draw your roof boundary

Click on the pivot point of of each of the edges that you are not pivoting on and change them to Gable.

You can then select the pivot of one of your slopes, and change it to your second pitch.

Lingwisyer_0-1649133333994.png

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Barry Kelly

So long as those two roof planes are the same thickness then this will work.

Separate the edge at the ridge (pull each side back a little away from the other).

Then with the roof tool active, select one roof and then CTRL+click on the ridge edge of the other roof you want to join.

Select the other roof and CTRL+click on the ridge edge of the first roof and the ridge should now be trimmed in the correct location.

And as a bonus the roof joining edges will be a custom angle that bisects the join.

This can be done in plan or 3D window.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Lingwisyer
Guru

If they are not the same thickness, draw an extension line from your thicker roof intersecting your thinner roof, then draw a line from your ridge to this intersection point for reference.

Lingwisyer_1-1649123406526.png

You can then measure the above two angles. Once you have these two angles, go to the 3D window and click on the top edge of one of your roofs, then navigate to the Custom Edge Settings. Insert your measured angle. Repeat for other roof with second measured angle.

Lingwisyer_2-1649123526627.png

Ling.

Thank you Ling. The thing is they are exactly the same thickness. Actually they are a composite element. Because the inclination is not exactly the same, the thickness looks different at the junction point and this is the main problem. In plan view it intersects perfectly, but in section, I have this issue.

Thank you Barry. I tried to do that and now in section it looks better but in plan the two roofs are overlapping. (The two roofs have the same thickness and are a composite element). I was wondering if we can just use one roof instead of two, but maybe it’s not possible 😞

Ahh, the Project Preferences > Legacy option.

Because it is off, single roof planes will show a true 3D projected plan view for single roof planes.

Because the edges are no longer vertical, you will see both of them - top and bottom of that edge.

BarryKelly_0-1649126138579.png

I don't like that so I turn this legacy option on all the time, so I only see the top surface of the roofs (symbolic view).

It has no effect on multi-plane roofs - they are always true 3D projected plan view.

The other option is to use a cover fill on your roofs, but this will cover other elements in you plans and you will have to play with display order.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Solution

You can use a Multi-plane Roof.

Change your Geometry Method to Multi-Plane (default: G) then draw your roof boundary

Click on the pivot point of of each of the edges that you are not pivoting on and change them to Gable.

You can then select the pivot of one of your slopes, and change it to your second pitch.

Lingwisyer_0-1649133333994.png

Ling.

DGSketcher
Legend

@corminbo Have you considered using the Shell tool if you want the two slopes as a single element?

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
corminbo
Contributor

Thank you all for your precious help : )))