cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Altering Roof

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have constructed a rather complex roof as shown in the picture bellow. I'm happy with its shape, pitches, peaks, etc, except for the plateau on the section roof to the right (the skinny rectangular area). I want to make a catwalk at that location, a little wider then the landing the computer has generated. How do I go about altering the size of that area? Thanks.

13 REPLIES 13
Dwight
Newcomer
In plan, put a slab at the approximate height and exact size you want - be symmetric.

Pull the roof edges to match the slab edges.

In section or 3D adjust the platform height as required.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
I click on one of the four corners of the rectangular section of roof I want to change and it only allows me to move the entire roof, not alter the roof lines. Any suggestions?
Dwight
Newcomer
You need training.

To edit the roof you must be in the roof tool with the roof selected, otherwise you will drag the entire roof.

When things are set right, you'll get this palette to select the edit type.
roof edit.jpg
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight wrote:
To edit the roof you must be in the roof tool with the roof selected, otherwise you will drag the entire roof.
I can tell you're an old timer. Used to be that way.
Now you get the pet palette for editing no matter what tool is selected.
Took me a while to get used to it too.
It's still true if you want to just draw a hole in the selected roof (the old fashioned way).
Dwight
Newcomer
That's the trouble working from memory. I guess that i am the one who needs the training.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
I get the lower half of that pallet, but not the upper half with the buttons I need. I select the roof, then select the roof tool and click the point I want to alter, which brings up just the lower half of that pallet.

I'm a newbie to ArchiCAD, recently switched over from AutoCAD on Windows to ArchiCAD on a Mac, so I'm still trying to learn how to do everything I normally do on AutoCAD.

ETA: I selected the "suspend groups" option allowing me to edit the points, however, I'm having a little trouble reconfiguring the lower right side of the section. Is there any easier and more precise way of reconfiguring the roof other then just kind of guessing and checking with the points?
Anonymous
Not applicable
camhabib wrote:
ETA: I selected the "suspend groups" option allowing me to edit the points, however, I'm having a little trouble reconfiguring the lower right side of the section. Is there any easier and more precise way of reconfiguring the roof other then just kind of guessing and checking with the points?
So it was grouped? That was going to be my next guess. Hard to answer the rest of your question because I'm not sure exactly what you are trying to do. The general answer is yes there are very quick and precise methods for editing roofs.

An important trick to know is if you select one (and only one) roof, you can command/ctrl click the edge of another roof and it will extend and angle to fit the selected one. Dwight may be right about the training. These basic techniques are a lot easier to show than to describe.
Richard Swann
Booster
Matthew wrote:
if you select one (and only one) roof, you can command/ctrl click the edge of another
Actually strictly speaking thats not true either (maybe another old timers habit?) you can have both roofs selected and click the edges of each in turn. Makes for a simple way of meeting roofs..
Richard Swann

MacOS 11.7 , Intel Imac 4k ArchiCAD 4.5-27 (Solo)
Anonymous
Not applicable
All I want to accomplish is expand the smaller red dashed landing to the size of the larger green slab surrounding it. If anyone knows how to do this in the easiest possibly way, preferably some sort of automatic computer generated method maintaining an optimal structural integrity, that would be great. As I said, I am brand new to ArchiCAD, new as in this week, so I'm still really trying to understand the program and how it works. I'd love a suggestion of a book or tutorial that could help teach me some of the basics of the program if anyone could.