Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Apple MacMini, MacPro server solutions?

rob2218
Enthusiast
here's what we have:
a full Apple office.
6 Imac workstations connected to a MacMini server.
we have remote companies that connect to us all the way from Colombia.
We have 2 local (but remote) users who connect to our TW files.

We are looking to upgrade our Apple setup.
Reason being...we have 1 point of failure, the MacMini which has our software AND data all residing in one machine.

I've been told go MacPro (out dated technology), use an Imac workstation as a server which you can add a Thunderbolt connection to, continue using the MacMini, just get a second "hot clone" MacMini which you can swap out.
Move the data (project files) to an exterior component such as a "Drob" or a Pegasus unit.

So..I need help here folks.
What "Apple server configurations" do the rest of you run at your offices?
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
9 REPLIES 9
rob2218
Enthusiast
sorry for the double post.....it appeared my Mac and the GS forum weren't playing nice together so I hit the "Submit" button a few times...sorry.
Please, GS, delete the other post with same name.

thanks....oh and I'd still like to responses from you all.
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Eduardo Rolon
What I would do…

Keep the macmini, buy an external disk and a license of either Superduper!(i use this one) or Carbon Copy Cloner.

Every 4 hours or once a day as a minimum schedule a clone of you mac mini HD to the external disk.

If the Mini dies then you can use the clone to boot one of the other iMacs in the office and it should behave identical to the mini.

Bonus points for having another external disk to which you run your Time Machine backups also.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

rob2218
Enthusiast
thanks.
we do indeed have a copy of the Carbon Copy Cloner software on an external hard drive.
We did have a MacMini hard drive failure and yet we did have the Carbon Copy Cloner in place at the time.
Yet we simply just did not know how to go about making another temporary server out of the CCC.

it was not that simply to do.
We have Teamwork files with data going back and forth and the MacMini had to be sent away to have them install a new HD.
We had to rely off of local copies of the files while the MacMini was in repair.
Then, we the Mac tech's came back and tried to reinstall the Macmini (was supposedly as you state a plug-n-play setup) we had all sorts of file structure issues with the new HD not being able to read the Teamwork files properly.

It was a nightmare to say the least.

So..we are now facing a situation where we are wanting to upgrade to either a MacPro but would also want the 'thunderbolt' quicker access benifits on data throughput.
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Eduardo Rolon
AFAIK the only requirement is to boot from the CCC clone using another Mac no need for anything more complicated though you might have needed to change the iMac name to match the server (I don't think this should be necessary but you should never assume).

For the price of a mac Pro you should be able to buy at least two mac minis which you could keep in sync using CCC, both having the same name etc. If the only reason to buy a mac pro is having multiple disks you can do the same with the mini and external disks. Even then you still have one point of failure if the mac pro "dies".
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

rob2218
Enthusiast
thanks.
our hang up is as follows:
1. we are looking to have redundant hard drives within the server.
2. we are looking to have a 'hot-clone' of the server at all times incase the main server itself fails completely.
3. we are looking to have the server only have in it the OS and the software we use daily, i.e. Archicad, Calendar, Ical, etc.
4. we are looking at putting the data (working files and TW files) in an off-site location meaning, some sort of Drobo or Pegasus hardware.
5. I understand if the main server fails, that's it..you are down, hence why we would need a clone copy of the server so we can simply "plug-n-play" the 2nd server clone while the main server is being worked on.
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Eduardo Rolon
Ok, that is my base setup except for #4.

Per GS recommendations having TWS on another disk besides the boot disk is not recommended after many problems I finally gave in and move it to my boot disk, you can check my comments on the Lion thread.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

rob2218
Enthusiast
W.T.F.?
Are you kidding me?
If you have the data on a Drobo or an external hard disk other than the OS hard disk.....that can't be done according to G.S.?

GS....please I need you to chime in here.
is this right?

Then how the heck could we get redundancy and protection on our data files if they cannot be on the same hard drive other than the boot disk???

Please advise.
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Eduardo Rolon
BimS backups

http://www.archicadwiki.com/Teamwork/TeamworkMultiBimBackup
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

Eduardo Rolon
and about were to install it
Also avoid to use external drives, which needs to be mounted. If you have e.g. an external Raid storage, which requires mounting on startup: disable - Start BIM Server with Operating System - check box in BIM Server Preferences, because if the BIM Server starts before the mounting happens, that can cause problems, so start the server manually after the external drive is mounted.
http://www.archicadwiki.com/Teamwork/BimServerConfiguration?action=show&redirect=BIMServer
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator