cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

ArchiCAD 19 Snap Guides

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am working in ArchiCAD 19, and I do not have access to Snap Guides. At one time I did, and it has disappeared (the function and the toggle in the Standard toolbar and View menu). What did I do to disable this function, and how do I get it back?
25 REPLIES 25
Anonymous
Not applicable
They should be in the standard toolbar. Did you modified it?

Anyway the snap guides can be turned on and off in the View Menu and there is a palete called control Box that contain the snap guides and you can put in your interface and use it from there.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Are you looking for Guide Lines or Snap Guides?
The terminology has changed in ARCHICAD 19.
Prior to AC19 all those temporary editing lines were called Guide Lines.
In ARCHICAD 19 there are permanent editing aids. These continue to be called Guide Lines.
The temporary editing aids are now called Snap Guides.
Guide Lines and Snap Guides each have their own button on the Standard Toolbar using which you can turn their display ON or OFF.

I hope the following clip will help it clarify a bit more:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMyZfolzzes&index=1&list=PLnXY6vLUwlWXj_1QX5iXbZ0cfscL-VNEX
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Kamelite
Advocate
laszlonagy wrote:
Are you looking for Guide Lines or Snap Guides?
The terminology has changed in ARCHICAD 19.
Prior to AC19 all those temporary editing lines were called Guide Lines.
In ARCHICAD 19 there are permanent editing aids. There continue to be called Guide Lines.
The temporary editing aids are now called Snap Guides.
Guide Lines and Snap Guides each have their own button on the Standard Toolbar using which you can turn their display ON or OFF.

I hope the following clip will help it clarify a bit more:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMyZfolzzes&index=1&list=PLnXY6vLUwlWXj_1QX5iXbZ0cfscL-VNEX
Since we are discussing the subject, I'm missing the function where there was an Orange ball appearing if I hovered the pointer over a wall, for instance, and when I activated that "ball", a temporary guideline that followed the angle of the wall appeared. Is it removed, or is it a setting that I've missed somewhere?

.Kamelite
Windows 10, Archicad 27
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
The orange Ball is still available with Guide Lines (the orange lines - those input aids that are permanent, that stay displayed even after the editing step is finished). You can still drag Guide Lines with the orange ball.
However, it is not available with Snap Guides (the blue temporary lines that disappear when the editing operation is finished) because it does not apply to those as they work differently.

It may be a good idea for you to watch the entire ARCHICAD 19 Guide Lines playlist, it will probably answer most of your questions:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLnXY6vLUwlWXj_1QX5iXbZ0cfscL-VNEX
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
nejcek74
Contributor
I went through videos ARCHICAD 19 New Features - Guide Lines, but I am still missing this:
before (AC18)
- if you were hovering over some line segment you get the endless orange temporary guide line
- often this didn't work well and I was using the command "Force guide line display" with a keyboard shortcut, great way of quickly creating the guide lines
now (AC19)
- I can drag guide lines from edges
- there is command "Create guide lines segments" - forces creating short guide line
- there is command "Force snap reference" - forces creating Snap Guides
- is there no command equivalent to old "Force guide line display" or something similar?
I really wish to be able to create new Guide Lines on the fly, with a keyboard shortcut, sometimes I need many of them and dragging them from edges is too slow.
Archicad 22 on OS X 10.11.6
David Maudlin
Rockstar
nejcek74 wrote:
- is there no command equivalent to old "Force guide line display" or something similar?
I really wish to be able to create new Guide Lines on the fly, with a keyboard shortcut, sometimes I need many of them and dragging them from edges is too slow.
You can try the command Create Guide Line Segment which allows you to draw a Guide Line. You can assign this command a keyboard shortcut.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
nejcek74
Contributor
Thx for reply, but Yes, I know for this option, it's in my post and I don't found it useful.
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Have you tried Pin Snap Guide? You can probably assign a hotkey to that.

It creates the infinite temporary snap guides, sort of like guide lines used to work.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
nejcek74
Contributor
Erwin wrote:
Have you tried Pin Snap Guide? .
Thx, went back to this (I already had a shortcut) + "highlight as snap reference after = 0.000 second" it kind of works. Without benefits of new guide lines and it is a little bit cumbersome, at least the way I use. Because you start with Snap point and have to drag out with some delays.
I hope in some future we will get proper command