cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

ArchiCAD 19 Snap Guides

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am working in ArchiCAD 19, and I do not have access to Snap Guides. At one time I did, and it has disappeared (the function and the toggle in the Standard toolbar and View menu). What did I do to disable this function, and how do I get it back?
25 REPLIES 25
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
You can set the delay time in the work environment or use Q to show it instantly, I think.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
nejcek74 wrote:
Thx, went back to this (I already had a shortcut) + "highlight as snap reference after = 0.000 second" it kind of works. Without benefits of new guide lines and it is a little bit cumbersome, at least the way I use. Because you start with Snap point and have to drag out with some delays.
I hope in some future we will get proper command
I think this change comes from the nature of these two input aid types.
Up to AC18 Guide Lines were infinite.

In AC19 this was divided into two types: Guide Lines and Snap Guides. Out of these two, by nature Snap Guides are infinite, Guide Lines are not. This is why the "Force Guide Line segment" is no longer available because it would have to create an infinite length line and a Guide Line in AC19 is never infinite in length.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
nejcek74
Contributor
You still have infinite guide lines if you drag them from sides.
Archicad 22 on OS X 10.11.6
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Oh, that's right, I forgot about those.
So isn't that the answer to your question?
nejcek74
Contributor
Sorry, but it's not. I thought it was clear written in my first and then following posts, but seems I don't express myself clear enough. I will try to say it better:
before (AC18)
- if you were hovering over some line segment you get the endless orange temporary guide line
- often this didn't work well and I was using the command "Force guide line display" with a keyboard shortcut, great way for quickly creating the guide lines
now (AC19)
- I can drag guide lines from edges
- there is command "Create guide lines segments" - forces creating short guide line, two clicks
- there are commands "Force snap reference" and "Pin Snap Guide" - they help with creating Snap Guides
what I am searching for
is there a command equivalent to old "Force guide line display" or something similar that would make an infinite guide line on the spot with a press of keyboard shorcut?
why I am searching for this
Dragging line is slow when you try to make many guide lines. Finite guide lines are also not helpful when you are zoomed to click existing points but you need them elsewhere. So, we know there are ways to do it with dragging / with lines / with Snap guides but I look for a direct, fast way to use the new amazing shiny Guide line that stays on screen after the first drawing command.
Hope I don't sound ungrateful for everyone's efforts, I appreciate it.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
When you drag the Guide Line from the side and drop it onto an element edge, it creates the infinite Guide Line on that element edge. Isn't this what you want to do?
nejcek74
Contributor
I would like to do it with a keyboard shortcut not dragging.
Because using keyboard shortcuts is much faster way than clicking on toolbars, palettes, using context menus, dragging, etc. At least for me
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
OK, I finally get it, you want to perform this action with a key press. Instead of dragging it from the side to the element, you just want to hover the mouse over the element and press a key to place the Guide Line.

I checked all the available commands in the Work Environment Dialog but unfortunately I have not seen one which would be able to do this.

You could make a wish to get back this functionality (Place Infinity Guide Line) in future releases.
Bruce
Advisor
I know what you're after nejcek74, because I'm after the same thing. The short answer is "No, but..."

To mimic the "force guide line" command, do the same thing you did in v18 (i.e. hover over a point / line, press your short cut key if you don't want to wait). The difference is:
1. They are now called Snap Guides, not Guide Lines.
2. They will only show up when your cursor is near their projection angle (they won't show all the time).
3. They are a different colour (blue by default).

However, they will still disappear when your command is complete - just like the old Guilde Lines used to.

All this you already know. What you may not know is: If you want to make the Snap Guide infinite and always showing regardless of where your cursor is, right-click on the Snap Guide and select 'Pin Snap Guide' (you can assign a shortcut key to this). This is as close as you can get to the old Guide Line behaviour.

There is no way I know of to turn a Snap Guide into a Guide Line.

So, to summarise:
1. To make a Snap Guide show immediately, be infinite, and always show for the duration of the command (i.e. like the old Guide Lines), you will need two short cut keys. One to force the snap reference, one to pin the Snap Guide.
2. To make a Guide Line infinite & permanent, you have to drag from the edge - there is no short cut key...yet.
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --
AC27 5003 INT Full | Windows 11 64 Pro | 12th Gen Intel i7-12700H 2.30 GHz | 64 Gb RAM | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 32 Gb
nejcek74
Contributor
Seems like that is it. Thx to everyone for their efforts