BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

ArchiCAD is dying

Bruce
Expert
I know that's a controversial subject line, but I believe it's true. Not because I want it to be, but because Autodesk is an advancing monster; ArchiCAD firms are switching to Revit, and Revit-based firms are buying ArchiCAD firms...and switching them to Revit.

ArchiCAD is a great program, but if it keeps going the way it is, I fear it will gradually dwindle until it's finally gone. On a level playing field, it comes out more or less even with Revit (I have done a detailed analysis that has been vetted by Revit experts) - but it's not a level playing field.

In my opinion, Graphisoft needs to do a handful of things to even the odds (yes, I will compare to Revit, as that's the main competition):

1. Rebrand & revamp the UI: CAD is an obsolete term. Even though ArchiCAD was BIM way before the term was even coined, I think the "CAD" in the name does it a disservice. Also, the user interface is old and tired. Should it go to the ribbon? No way. Should it be brought into the 21st century? Absolutely - there are plenty of excellent examples out there. Blender, a free 3D program, is undergoing its second UI redesign in about 5 years. If Blender can do it, Graphisoft can.

2. Introduce type-based elements. At the moment, pretty much everything is instance based. If you place 100 doors 900mm wide throughout the project, you have to select and change every single instance (this is an example, so please don't tell me the workarounds - that misses the point). Essentially, this is extending the attributes database to other objects. This makes project-wide changes so much more consistent, with no fear of missing an element.

3. Easier creation of parametric custom content: A beginner user in Revit can create a basic parametric object by using geometry and dimensions. It is intuitive and accessible. This does have its limits, but GDL is completely inaccessible to any but the advanced user with a programming mind...something architects and drafties generally don't have - otherwise they'd be programmers. A mix of the two would be extremely powerful - maybe an interface similar to Visual Basic, or Grasshopper? Not only for 3D elements, but also for 2D labels.

4. Better labelling & keynote tools: At the moment it's one label per element per view. What if I want to tag more than the ID? What about material, thickness, height etc. Revit is excellent in this regard, and also in the ability to create your label format as specific as you please. Key notes are also critical.

These are only four key improvements that I think are critical. There are many others that I could list, but this post is already too long. I say the above not to criticise ArchiCAD, but to try and help (misguided however it may be).

I could be wrong - I would be happy to be wrong...but the Autodesk monster is advancing...

These changes should be done the Graphisoft way: not to match what Revit does, but to equal and better it.
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --
AC27 5003 INT Full | Windows 11 64 Pro | 12th Gen Intel i7-12700H 2.30 GHz | 64 Gb RAM | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 32 Gb
181 REPLIES 181
stefan
Expert
dirty wrote:
A good product sells itself.
I don't agree. Marketing and word of mouth sells a product, but you indeed need to have a product.

Revit and ArchiCAD are comparable in quality and completeness. They aren't in terms of marketing, word-of-mouth or press attention.
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
The Nemetschek group's 4th quarter revenue statement is out:

http://www.tenlinks.com/news/pr/nemetschek_ag/013114_revenue.htm

Q4 revenue is up 9%, year-over-year revenue is up 7%

One quote from the statement:
For the Design segment the fourth quarter 2013 was the strongest: With a plus of almost 10% revenues climbed to EUR 42.2 million (prior year: EUR 38.5 million). For the whole year 2013 revenues of EUR 149.5 million were generated (prior year: EUR 141.8 million), which represents growth of 5.5%. The brands Graphisoft (Hungary) and Vectorworks (USA) have contributed materially to the positive development.
So is ArchiCAD dying?
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
laszlonagy wrote:
So is ArchiCAD dying?
Apple has been dying for 30 years now - it makes dying seem very desirable
Ralph Wessel BArch
NandoMogollon
Advocate
Ralph wrote:
laszlonagy wrote:
So is ArchiCAD dying?
Apple has been dying for 30 years now - it makes dying seem very desirable
░█░░░█░█░▄▀░█▀▀░░░░▀█▀░█░█░█░▄▀▀░
░█░░░█░█▀░░░█▀░░▄▄░░█░░█▀█░█░░▀▄
░█▄▄░█░█░▀▄░█▄▄░░░░░█░░█░█░█░▄▄▀░

( lack of "Like-it" button )
Nando Mogollon
Director @ BuilDigital
nando@buildigital.com.au
Using, Archicad Latest AU and INT. Revit Latest (have to keep comparing notes)
More and more... IFC.js, IFCOpenShell
All things Solibri and BIMCollab
Rick Newton
Newcomer
Miki Woodie: "My 2 cents....it's used only in residential construction (houses not high risers though)..." You are incorrect here.AC is being used to model high rises by many firms. I am currently modeling an luxury high rise apartment and is does a better job than Revit. IFC exchange by Graphisoft is superior to Revit's IFC file transfer ability. BIM modeling is being done by the MEP subs and is required by the builder and building owner. Everything is working fine, conflict resolution is being handled by the builder using our files saved as 3D dwg files, so IFC isn't being implemented yet, but will be in the future of the project.
Rick Newton, Architect, ArchiCAD 17, 27" iMac:•3.4GHz Core i7 •32GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM-2X8GB •3TB Fusion Drive •NVIDIAGeForce GTX 680MX 2GB
schagemann
Enthusiast
We continuously have to face questions regarding REVIT's perceived dominance from concerned offices we work with and to be honest the whole discussion is mostly driven by the fear that clients / developers eventually will demand the use of a particular software, which is typically based on uninformed decisions... basically the argument seems to go (pretty much as stated above) if it comes out of the same software family/company, we will not have any problems importing / exporting data.

In my admittedly idealistic opinion, what would really help is if the various industry Lobby groups, i.e. Architects Boards, Engineers Associations, Governments, etc. (not necessarily Graphisoft or ADESK) would finally get their act together and mandate the use of IFC (and may be even establish a global standard for Objects along the way).
macinteract
Design Technology Managers.
All  on macOS | since AC 6

Archicad Framework > Smart Template 27
Smart Tree, Transmittal and Universal Label and other smart GDL Objects
By Architects for Architects.
Da3dalus
Enthusiast
I agree that the lack of community is hurting us. Ten years ago, we had Graphisoft-supported User Groups, and I not only learned more about the software, but I met the people that I'm working for now. I also met many of the GS reps, roving experts, and national evangelists. Where are they now?

I know there are many designers walking around with an ArchiCAD preference and experience, but they are willing to do whatever it takes to get a job; software isn't much of a factor. They don't know of firms looking for ArchiCAD users, and they don't have anywhere to look, so they abandon it. If there was a venue, more networking would occur.

I would be happy to be a part of that; I could host occasional meetings, provide training, and even be a link to the AIA. But I'd need to know that someone was behind it. So if there's a movement, let Graphisoft know that you're interested, and with any luck, they'll once again embrace their small, but loud, grassroots community. I'll see what I can do.

I'll be honest. I don't want to learn Revit. I've tried half-heartedly for years, and it seems like design handcuffs. I spent years working primarily in AutoCAD (using ArchiCAD on occasion), and I mastered it, but I hated every moment. Never again. I also dislike Windows, and all things Microsoft. I also don't go into Walmart or McDonald's. At some point, I would really like to stand my ground, and not be subject to someone's marketing tidal wave that makes all things real irrelevant.

[END RANT]
Chuck Kottka
Orcutt Winslow
Phoenix, Arizona, USA

ArchiCAD 25 (since 4.5)
Macbook Pro 15" Touchbar OSX 10.15 Core i7 2.9GHz/16GB RAM/Radeon Pro560 4GB
schagemann
Enthusiast
Another factor is recruitment... as noted above, given the lack of CAD/BIM courses at universities it gets increasingly hard to actually find good graduates - let alone ArchiCAD trained graduates…

On a sidenote since everyone seems to be a (self proclaimed) expert in pretty much about anything these days, I have even heard of firms having applicants do the AC competency test > http://www.graphisoft.com/education/certification/ as part of the interview process… personally I am not sure if this is the way to go, but well if it works for them.

Btw. there used to be a more or less half hearted job forum somewhere, not sure who hosted it… may be even somewhere on this forum?

Oops found it > http://www.graphisoft.com/users/job_board/positions_available/

Can I suggest to have this link prominently posted on the forum Index? And since we are on about it, may I also suggest for Graphisoft to combine the various national job boards and provide the following:

1. proper search filters, location, experience, etc.
2. i quite like the idea of having offers expire after a certain period, similar to the ads section on this forum
macinteract
Design Technology Managers.
All  on macOS | since AC 6

Archicad Framework > Smart Template 27
Smart Tree, Transmittal and Universal Label and other smart GDL Objects
By Architects for Architects.
Anonymous
Not applicable
What Graphisoft should do is fight the beast that Revit is.

I know there Marketing approach has improved a lot, and they are more visible and that;s a good thing.

The University teaching that many people pray is good whatever drives the acceptance of the software is the Market.

So IMHO, Graphisoft should slash the prices of the licenses big time to make a good difference chunk, and I'm sure that with the continues struggling of the profession, any office will prefer to pay less for an equal or better product. And Graphisoft should use some kind of Technical Support or something like that to make up somehow the difference.

Just an idea.

Thanks
KenMcN
Contributor
Personally I'd like to see Archicad for Mac being optimised for the GPUs in the new Mac Pros, as Pixelmator has just done (http://www.pixelmator.com/blog/).

This would give them an edge in speed that Revit cannot match (unless they bring out a Mac version).

Just my tuppence (2 cents, for those across the pond) worth. Not an expert in these things, so it's possible that the new GPUs and the updated CPUs won't help 3d much, but I think that's unlikely from what I've read.
V25 & 26 (fully patched); Mac Ventura, MacBook Pro M1 Max
Learn and get certified!