Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Archicad 15 new features on youtube.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Here's some youtube clips on Archicad 15 new features.

http://emuarchitects.wordpress.com/2011/05/02/archicad-15-new-features/
181 REPLIES 181
Anonymous
Not applicable
Bricklyne wrote:
Don wrote:
This may not be the right place to post this, but since AC 15 addresses some of the "free form" modeling issues so many have clamored about I thought I'd put it here.

I just returned from seeing a show of the fifth year thesis projects at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo in central California. Cal Poly will graduate 183 (!) students in architecture this year and I believe nearly all of the students had projects at the show.

In contrast to previous years, there had to be no more than a a handful of projects that one might consider "blobitecture". The vast majority were made of conventional form elements easily made in ArchiCad-although the modeler of choice among the students seems to be Rhino.

So what does this mean for the future of architecture? I really don't know, but if current student work is any indicator
us mere mortal architects need not fear the "blob".

Don Lee

Since you brought it up, majority of people who clamor for better modeling tools in ArchiCAD are not necessarily asking GS for tools to build "blobitecture".

Of course-I agree.

This is just a red herring argument constantly and commonly employed by the 'status quo' and "stand pat" crowd in trying to make the argument that ArchiCAD doesn't need any improvement in its modeling tools.

I don't personally know these "people" you speak of and would not presume to speak for them.

People asking for better modeling tools could be something as simple as requesting Boolean functions (SEO) that not only work correctly and are easy to manage, but also which display correct for documentation (read : display correctly in plan and don't force one to have to clean up the drawings after the fact).
People asking for better tools could be something as basic as having a much more improved and enhanced Stair tool which doesn't limit you to a very archaic template which doesn't conform to most modern building code regulations and requirements and which also does not cripple one's creativity in terms of designing aesthetically creative stairs.

I agree completely and I would guess most users do also.

Better modeling tools could also mean the ability to apply custom profiles to slab edges aor roof edges to better represent actual conventional structures like roof fascias without having to undergo a ton of modeling and work-around acrobatics.

Or maybe just the ability to build custom library objects (of any shape or form) and make them parametric without having to type down a thousand lines of gdl code.

It doesn't always have to boil down to or come down to "blobitecture".
Just basic tools to do what people basically need on a a day-to-day basis without having to resort to a ton of ludicrous work-arounds.

Of course.

Furthermore one would also question the wisdom in trying determine or divine the future of architecture from thesis projects of a single architecture school out of many (or any school for that matter).

No wisdom intended or divination of anything-just something to think about. My impressions of the schools (check out their websites) and the stuff in the mags would seem to indicate a move away from the need to blob.
Barry Kelly
Coty82 wrote:
hello ! I have a question regarding the new shell tool capabilities.

I saw in the demo videos that once a shell is created i can go back and change the base path and/or the profile. Can i insert for example new nodes in a straight vector path of an extruded shape, then drag them and make the resulted extrusion be updated accordingly? I mean will it have the same tools like when editing a polyline?
Yes exactly like editing a polyline.
You can add and move nodes and curve and offset edged and even extend the end of the profile line.
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Coty82 wrote:
hello ! I have a question regarding the new shell tool capabilities.

I saw in the demo videos that once a shell is created i can go back and change the base path and/or the profile. Can i insert for example new nodes in a straight vector path of an extruded shape, then drag them and make the resulted extrusion be updated accordingly? I mean will it have the same tools like when editing a polyline?
The Profile Polygon of Shells can be any kind of polyline.
However, the Extrusion Vector (the path) of an Extruded Shell is a single segment, it can not be a polyline.

So if you want to create a Shell that is a Profile along a polyline, you have to model it from individual Shell pieces, then modify their starting and ending angles or their contour to join them correctly to each other - an action that can be done rather quickly.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Barry Kelly
Sorry I didn't read properly.
The profile of the shell can be edited but the path shape cannot.
The path is either an axis for revolving the profile or a straight line for stretching the profile length.
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
In AC 15 it is possible to save backwards, from AC 15 to earlier version, (eg. AC 13,12,11) like in AutoCAD? If not, they should think about it.
Eduardo Rolon
It is the same as the past 3 releases you can only save to the previous version. AC15 will only save to 14.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
ejrolon wrote:
It is the same as the past 3 releases you can only save to the previous version. AC15 will only save to 14.
I would guess then you could save from AC14 to AC13 and so on? I have never really had the need to go backwards but one release.

I know I have brought drawings "forward" from AC6 to AC12
(in steps).
Eduardo Rolon
That is the only way and the reason that you can have previous versions of AC installed running with the Dongle.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
But if you have a project in AC14 and you have to sent the file to another architect who is working in AC11, because he have only AC 11 license...? Then it make sense? In Autocad I have no problem to save backwards. Maybe someone from Graphisoft will think about it for new version, will help us a lot.
...waiting for AC 15 link to test it.
Eduardo Rolon
ddlstudio: you can do it now by installing all the versions and step down each one a a time losing/removing improvements along the way.

Take in consideration that each new version has improvements that the previous one does not i.e. shells and renovation in 15 and there are also changes in the libraries that have to be taken in account. If you have a Shell with a trimmed Curtain Wall with different tags for "New" and "Existing to Remain" made in 15 how will it work in AC11 which does not have any of those options? It is not the same as saving 2D elements or "dumb" 3D Solids which is the bread and butter of Autocad.

Do you think it is worth it for GS to spend time making sure that the Improvements in AC15 work correctly to do a direct save to AC11 (4 year old version) in addition to the existing workflow?

If I were working with someone who has AC11 then I would install AC11 in my computer and use that one since this is a valid option and it would avoid all the compatibility problems that would arise. If not you will have to save it to 14 first and see what is lost in that translation, then from 14-13 and so on until you reach 11.

I don't see any advantage for GS to spend time, money and effort in going backwards more than one version. I would rather they keep moving forward with as little baggage as possible.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator