cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Starting August 6, 2024, TLS 1.2 will be the minimum required protocol version for Graphisoft products and services that require an online connection. Learn more…
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Archicad 15 new features on youtube.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Here's some youtube clips on Archicad 15 new features.

http://emuarchitects.wordpress.com/2011/05/02/archicad-15-new-features/
181 REPLIES 181
TMA_80
Enthusiast
2-( as always) The segmentation of the Curve in ArchiCAD ( section) is sometimes too approximative ( at least in the graphical part ). ( if we except the profile difference...!!) _ see the attached file

On the other hand, the creation time in ArchiCAD is unbeatable as in revit it has to be done in " two different parts " of the software....
AC12_20 |Win10_64bit|
Barry Kelly
TMA_80 wrote:
the shell is only a surface in ArchiCAD while it is a shell in revit.
A shell has a constant (user defined) thickness in Archicad.
But you can only adjust the profile of one side of the shell.
Is this different to Revit?
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
TMA_80
Enthusiast
Hi,

I know about the shell thinkness; as to a certain extent you can modify both profiles in ArchiCAD with a thikness, once exeeded ArchiCAD give a warning and transform the shell into a simple surface.

The same profile in revit drawn in the massing environment and then transformed into wall has no problem into creating a shell with thikness.

Will I need such form, I don't know, but I guess i was curious to know the limits .
AC12_20 |Win10_64bit|
Anonymous
Not applicable
Been playing with the shell tool and too be honest I was quite under whelmed...

I would be interested to see how people use this tool in their work.

Perhaps we could have a thread dedicated to the shell tool to show each other how we are using it and what can be achieved.
rjwilden
Booster
strawbale23 wrote:
Been playing with the shell tool and too be honest I was quite under whelmed...

I would be interested to see how people use this tool in their work.

Perhaps we could have a thread dedicated to the shell tool to show each other how we are using it and what can be achieved.

Im wondering if this tool will sit alongside Curtain wall, "Unused".
The odd time I thought Curtain wall might useful, it was too complex to easily use. If you dont use a tool frequently, the complexity of the settings usually makes it awkward and frustrating. And most of the peasants I work for have trouble affording a rectilinear box with a pitched roof.

Richard.
Richard Wilden Design. Ltd
Dunedin, New Zealand.
Imac 27" i9 3.6GHz; 32GB Ram Mac OS 11.3
Archicad V23:V24
Anonymous
Not applicable
Im wondering if this tool will sit alongside Curtain wall, "Unused".
The odd time I thought Curtain wall might useful, it was too complex to easily use. If you dont use a tool frequently, the complexity of the settings usually makes it awkward and frustrating. And most of the peasants I work for have trouble affording a rectilinear box with a pitched roof.

Richard.
LOL. That describes me and I suspect, a lot of other AC users.
Anonymous
Not applicable
This tool is being sold as a new "shell" tool, when it is in fact a glorified Hyperbolic paraboloid tool,

the barrel roof and dome parts we already had in the roof tool, so they dont count

This is not the powerful new roofing shell tool I had hoped it would be, instead it highlights the limitations of GDL as implemented in AC

In my work we are doing more and more organic designs (NOT blobitecture, I hate that term), the new shell tool doesnt answer that need. great if you do lots of barrel roofs and domes, otherwise why is this tool so useful that complex profiles couldnt do?

Someone prove me wrong by showing me otherwise...
TMA_80
Enthusiast
at least one thing is sure the shell tool is not totally a freeform tool...
it is limited to three main operations:

- Extrusions
- Revolutions
- Rules

I would have expected:

- a more refined modeling tool ( using nurbs for instance...to have a more correct curves.....
- some operations like lofting
- an adapted fonction to create a structure /curtain wall that could be applied to this freeform "form".
- adapted to create parametric gdl objects....
AC12_20 |Win10_64bit|
Anonymous
Not applicable
GDL just cant do that free form stuff, its the big downside to using it as a 3D modeling platform far as I can see

At what point will GS make the jump to a more powerful user friendly way of creating BIM models? As long as they are chained to GDL the future of AC is a limited one.

Is GDL really this limited or is it just the way it has been implemented by GS??
strawbale23 wrote:
GDL just cant do that free form stuff, its the big downside to using it as a 3D modeling platform far as I can see

At what point will GS make the jump to a more powerful user friendly way of creating BIM models? As long as they are chained to GDL the future of AC is a limited one.

Is GDL really this limited or is it just the way it has been implemented by GS??

Now that I've used the shell tool quite a bit, I'll offer some thoughts and opinions as well as on the discussion at hand.

While it is a great step forward for GS in AC, I have to agree with other assessments that in its current form it s limited and a not what I would call a complete freeform tool. The lack of Lofting capability, sweeping on single rails or bi-rails as well as the inability to create surfaces from boundary curves or lines stand out most glaringly for me. And the extrusions and rules that it has right now are limited to what you can do within simple curves and straight lines as paths and sometimes even profiles - which in essence doesn't make them true Extrusion and Rule capability.

In terms of workflow, I have to say I found it a bit awkward and unintuitive using the shell tool.
A big part of the problem is the fact that you have to keep switching between 2D and 3D windows - due to the inability of the 3D window to display 2D linework at all, as well as the inability of the 2D windows to correctly display the created 3D forms (and don't even get me started on the faceted curves instead of smooth curves and surfaces).

I had similar problems when they introduced the Curtain wall tool which in theory was a great concept, but in practice and the way GS implemented it, was and still is, in many ways, a nightmare to use given just how complicated they make it to do the simplest things with it. There's also the fact that you can't design or work on your curtain wall in elevation profile or in the elevation window (i.e in 2D) which is how you actually would design a curtain wall or a building facade - unless you use that restrictive grid in the Curtain wall settings dialog. And if you have to use non-rectilinear custom panels with an elaborate organization or design, then forget about it.

I realize that a lot of this has to do with the difficulty of trying to introduce a new tool like this (or the Curtain Wall Tool) into ArchiCAD which already has problems insofar that 2D Window/3D window separation is concerned (And you can clearly see why they were compelled to introduce reference planes and guidelines in the 3D window as a result, in this version) as well as the inherent limitations of the (dare I say it: antiquated) GDL engine and 3D kernel.

Which brings me back to the point of discussion.
I think GDL is limited regarding how much you can do with it, but I also think a large part of the problem might have to do with how GS has not only implemented it but how it generally implements new tools to work with it.
Rumour has it that GS has no plans of updating ArchiCAD's 3D engine or kernel (and by extension GDL) anytime soon since it's deemed as too prohibitive a task in terms of the cost to them.
That's a fair point, but then you have to realize that at some point you'll begin running into brick walls when you try to over-extend an already aging or badly aging and severely limited engine and 3D kernel by trying to make it do things it was never meant to do nor originally developed to do.........20 years ago.

Unfortunately for GS they are now trying to introduce these new tools so late in the game after other software developers (Rhino3D, C4D, Max, Maya, even AutoCAD) as well as their competitors have already had them for the longest time now and have already found the most intuitive ways of making them work in their software and to allow their users to work with them without getting migraines. Even Vectorworks has more intuitive and easy to use NURBS tools and functions than ArchiCAD has in its Shell tool.

But then again, who knows? Maybe we're only just seeing half of the Shell tool in its current form, and like some of their recent other "new features" in previous versions, they'll complete it in the next version of ArchiCAD with more functionality and flexibility.

But as for right now, I get the impression that I'll be better served by still sticking the to software I'm already accustomed to using at the moment for creating free-form shapes with (Rhino3D and Maya in my case) and leave the struggles and battles to trying to integrate or import those forms back into ArchiCAD or maybe fine some other way of getting the 2D linework back into the documents.