Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Archicad for Linux

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I think the linux market share will grow in 2005.
I usually work with OpenOffice 1.9, Mozzila, Gaim, Skype, Oracle 10g, GIMP 2.1, Blender, Dia, ArcGIS 9.0 software that run on windows and linux,
I would like to work with a version of Archicad for linux,

Now we only have Building Information Modeling (BIM) software in linux:
- ARCAD 90, from www.arcad.de - only in german i think
- BricsCad, (brings DWG to the LINUX community) beta version, from www.bricscad.com
and a old 2D Software - Microstation 95 for Linux
Does anybody know if there will be a linux version of archicad in 2005?

thanks,
Bernardino
153 REPLIES 153
Anonymous
Not applicable
Why doesn't graphisoft at least help linux community to run AC through emulator?
Anonymous
Not applicable
syber wrote:
Why doesn't graphisoft at least help linux community to run AC through emulator?

That would definitely be a big step, and keep us motivated to get it working...
henrypootel
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
I don't think that we will ever see any autodesk products ported to any other platform. the latest versions of their flagship products are sodependant on the .NET framework, that it would require a major recode just to get them to run on another OS, letalone several. They seem quite content to let mac/*nix users run whatever they want(Maya, Archicad etc..), while they seek to be the dominant software developer for the windows platform. Rumour has it that they have partnered with MS to make DWG the standard to kill PDF(seriously!).

Because of this, i think that Archicad for Linux could be BIG. The only framework that it seems to be very dependant on is Quicktime, so i would think it would be a lot easier to port. Oh well, i live in hope.
Josh Osborne - Central Innovation

HP Zbook Studio G4 - Windows 10 Pro, Intel i7 7820HQ, 32Gb RAM, Quadro M1200
stefan
Advisor
henrypootel wrote:
I don't think that we will ever see any autodesk products ported to any other platform. the latest versions of their flagship products are sodependant on the .NET framework, that it would require a major recode just to get them to run on another OS, letalone several. They seem quite content to let mac/*nix users run whatever they want(Maya, Archicad etc..), while they seek to be the dominant software developer for the windows platform. Rumour has it that they have partnered with MS to make DWG the standard to kill PDF(seriously!).

Because of this, i think that Archicad for Linux could be BIG. The only framework that it seems to be very dependant on is Quicktime, so i would think it would be a lot easier to port. Oh well, i live in hope.
A few remarks:

Maya is now from Autodesk

DWG ? Don't you mean DWF?

Quicktime is supported on Linux:
http://heroinewarrior.com/quicktime.php3
http://www.mplayerhq.hu
Apple doesn't provide Quicktime for Linux, though. There are alternatives enough for panoramic images. I'm not that sure about Quicktime Objects, but I also don't know many people that use it.
http://www.spinner-scripts.com shows an alternative to panorama's and object movies.

But I don't believe that Quicktime is the most important factor here.
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Anonymous
Not applicable
Following the n-th windows XP Pro crash and misbehaviour, last night I proposed to a senior architect to drop the ugly monster (P4-3Ghz, 512MB, 19" crt, tower and noisy) for a new iMac 20". It would be nice to have one of those, he said. It would clear my desk from all this hardware clutter, run faster, and quieter. However, can I run windows as primary os? Why is that windows is the standard, every one has it, the local bureau has it as standard together with AutoCAD, while mac os is unknown and cannot run autocad?

The problem with any large software house like Graphisoft is the ROI. A linux version would encounter similar market issues. I am not saying that it is impossible to crack the M$ monopoly, only that it would take an advertising genious to make it happen. I have a few ideas. I would gladly post them here, if someone from Graphisoft invites me.
Chris Phillips
Contributor
jdk wrote:
Following the n-th windows XP Pro crash and misbehaviour, last night I proposed to a senior architect to drop the ugly monster (P4-3Ghz, 512MB, 19" crt, tower and noisy) for a new iMac 20". It would be nice to have one of those, he said. It would clear my desk from all this hardware clutter, run faster, and quieter. However, can I run windows as primary os? Why is that windows is the standard, every one has it, the local bureau has it as standard together with AutoCAD, while mac os is unknown and cannot run autocad?

The problem with any large software house like Graphisoft is the ROI. A linux version would encounter similar market issues. I am not saying that it is impossible to crack the M$ monopoly, only that it would take an advertising genious to make it happen. I have a few ideas. I would gladly post them here, if someone from Graphisoft invites me.
Set up startup disk in system preferences and it will start in whichever system you have as default. We are running 6 intel imacs 50/50 mac / windows. Archicad has needed to be the mactel but we have needed production. Rosetta implementation significantly slower than PC side. Mac is not unknown except to the blind to the obvious and who in their right minds wants to run that dead dog aka Autocad? The best way to crack the M$ monopoly is not to use it, use open software or mac and incourage others in the same path of convicion over blind habit.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Chris,

I agree with you, but only in principle. In practice, AutoCAD is backed by other applications which mount their menues into AutoCAD and only have windows binaries. It is a chain. Further, local bureaus make an implicit, whether not explicit demand for AutoCAD. In order to win the M$/Autodesk monopoly, one would have to collect the details of each and every situation where AutoCAD is used, how it is used, and what are the local demands, then proceed to seek for an alternative. For example, in Italy the government supplies for-free a closed-source application named PREGEO, which only runs on windows with a proprietary file type, and demands professionals to use it for any topographic reading. To use this application swiftly, people use additional applications that bridge AutoCAD with PREGEO, but run on windows only. To make the ArchiCAD equivalent of this, one would have to extend ArchiCAD to topography, which is not what ArchiTerra does, with the additional problem that there is no standard on topography file types. It is certainly the case that there are alternatives to AutoCAD, but the above applications run on windows only. The market is locked by the government, which supplies a windows-only version of PREGEO, and demands you to use it. This is only one European scenario... There are others, of course. If one circumscribes the domain of application to architectural design, I believe it is possible to bridge all gaps via .dwg file exchange. It is a royal pain, but is doable. In other situations, given that AutoCAD is less specific than ArchiCAD, I am afraid the battle is lost. Given the cost of each of these applications, people often settle for AutoCAD on Windows in the first place. Do you see the problem? I have been using ArchiCAD for a few days now, and I can say that it is a breath taking view. By comparison, AutoCAD is simply a shot in one's foot, as far as architectural design is concerned. Revit is another paradigm; it has nothing to do with AutoCAD, but does not even compare well with ArchiCAD. To undercut the wedge, Autodesk supplies Revit jointly with AutoCAD: you pay for Reivit, and get AutoCAD bundled in. I am sure other professional studios have their share of horror stories like this. In a perfect world, one would have the same application to serve the full range of architectural needs, from topography to construction, passing via various designs issues, including energy analysis but also furniture arrangements. In practice, one has to swim in high waters, in a drink-or-sink situation.

I start liking ArchiCAD, and it would be wonderful if its BIM would include a section on topography that would serve the obvious purpose in design (when drawing a slab, AC also draws the foundation by following the actual land, on the fly), but also be compatible with the local/national registry of topographic records. For this to be possible at all, one would have to set an open standard for file types on topography, on a collaborative effort, to bridge all existing and often local/national types.

Bob

(revised and extended)
Anonymous
Not applicable
arhicad for linux... uau... super duper... can i have one please no really... if there wos an arhicad for linux i would start right now throwing all my cracked windows installation CDs i'm for!
Anonymous
Not applicable
TomWaltz wrote:
Let's remember that GS is not that big of a company. Creating yet another source base to maintain will cut their resources even more.

When you are porting software from one operating system to another, it can take many work-years to make the necessary changes.

I'd rather see the versions we have get better than support a niche market that obviously has no current user base
BUT (it always is... )

"It's passion, and a good deal of business sense, that helped turn Graphisoft into a global player."
The Wall Street Journal

now one of yous got it wrong. if G was a global player than it could find the resources to make a linux based program.

it doesn't take a shrink to notice that you despise linux and embrace big-corporation-overstepping-smaller-firms kind of policies. it's either this or you are the kind of guy that thinks "the best way is the knowned way, why search for better ones?!"....

tbw... i have all my life ahead of me for studying archicad, but only 3 days until my current homework deadline... allplan will suffice till monday:)
TomWaltz
Participant
Constantin wrote:
TomWaltz wrote:
Let's remember that GS is not that big of a company. Creating yet another source base to maintain will cut their resources even more.

When you are porting software from one operating system to another, it can take many work-years to make the necessary changes.

I'd rather see the versions we have get better than support a niche market that obviously has no current user base
BUT (it always is... )

"It's passion, and a good deal of business sense, that helped turn Graphisoft into a global player."
The Wall Street Journal

now one of yous got it wrong. if G was a global player than it could find the resources to make a linux based program.

it doesn't take a shrink to notice that you despise linux and embrace big-corporation-overstepping-smaller-firms kind of policies. it's either this or you are the kind of guy that thinks "the best way is the knowned way, why search for better ones?!"....

tbw... i have all my life ahead of me for studying archicad, but only 3 days until my current homework deadline... allplan will suffice till monday:)
I do not see any contradiction between my statement that it would be dumb to create a Linux version of Archicad and the WSJ statement that GS has positioned itself in the global market through wise business choices. You do not need to have a thousand employees to be a global player in the software market. Spend 5 minutes looking over their stock reports and you will see that GS is not a large company. Spend a little more time looking over this forum and you will see that GS is stretched pretty thin as it is. They can barely keep up with two versions of Apple.

How many architects out there are running Linux on the desktops? How many do you think would buy a Linux Archicad? Unless that number is well into the thousands and they are all new customers, it's not going to be cost effective for GS to pursue. Software manufacturers know the big money is in selling new licenses more than maintaining existing ones (unless they see support services).

Nothing I said in any way implies I'm content with a "known way." Look around at my posts on this forum over the years. I'm constantly pushing for ways to better use what we have. Be careful with hurling accusations around on the forum if you ever expect help with anything.

I realize that you're young, and full of optimism, but try to remember that commercial software companies are out to make money and advance their own future. They are not going to port to a new OS unless they can make money doing it.
Tom Waltz