Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Are you a modeling whiz??

Anonymous
Not applicable
How do you go about doing this? I've gotten everything to align well, but when I try and run the angled trim at the face of the dormer down it "effs" everything up.

I'm trying very hard to "model more, draw less" but sometimes it's frustrating!

dormer.jpg
47 REPLIES 47
Peter wrote:
Hello Steven,
Again, please see this thread. The method shown does work
and the curves in the complex profile are smooth.

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=103276&highlight=raking+molding#103276

Peter Devlin
How do you make the curves smooth?
not a smooth curve.jpg

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Anonymous
Not applicable
I believe the classically correct crown molds are made from arcs/circles, not splines as some of the new stock ones are. Circles are nice and smooth!
Anonymous
Not applicable
As Primarily an Engineer myself and working in an area were many architectural decisions and/or changes are being made in the field, many of the modeled elements are often just for the "pretty pictures". I for one would prefer to use modeling technics that best represent how they are getting built. If you have those that use the "putty and paint make a carpenter what he ain't" then model with Shells special angles and multiple SEO plans. Or model like you know they may build it anyway, Of course there are always (and maybe more often in average AC user) the the occasions were architectural integrity needs to remain and the model needs to reflect that standard.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello Steve Jepson,
I thought you gave the solution to the smooth problem on this thread.
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=37239
But maybe not. The complex profiles I made for the eave
and rake moldings were made in AC 10 with no problem.
So it maybe an AC 15 problem. I don't know because
I do not have AC 15.
Thanks,
Peter Devlin
Anonymous
Not applicable
Steven wrote:
...not a true miter, requires a coping saw, and is very tricky
This doesn't really work. You can only get away with it when the eaves are too high to see clearly and even then it still requires that the profiles are different heights or they won't even come close to matching. What you describe is not skilled carpentry but a well meaning hack job.

If it's not going to be done right use a different detail.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Steven wrote:
I believe the classically correct crown molds are made from arcs/circles, not splines as some of the new stock ones are. Circles are nice and smooth!
This is true of the cyma, cove and some ovolos but there are also some that are elliptic. I don't recall seeing any classical or modern ones that use a spline curve.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Here's another example of some classical detail with a crown/rake miter.

Before you say "Wait that's a hip roof!"... I'm referring to the architrave.

BTW: I know it looks silly just sitting in an empty field. This is just a quickie I threw together while trying to sort out the GDL for fluting on doric columns and pilasters. It's funny how something that's relatively simple for a stone mason is such a mind twister to sort out geometrically.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Here's a close up of the architrave. It's actually not modeled entirely correctly (the rake is not quite right for the pitch and it doesn't meet the entablature exactly as it should) but it gives the basic idea.

Note that it is only the upper part of the rake that miters into the crown. The lower part dies into the top of the entablature.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Peter wrote:
Hello Steve Jepson,
I thought you gave the solution to the smooth problem on this thread.
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=37239
But maybe not. The complex profiles I made for the eave
and rake moldings were made in AC 10 with no problem.
So it maybe an AC 15 problem. I don't know because
I do not have AC 15.
Thanks,
Peter Devlin
I don't think there is any significant difference between versions. ArchiCAD models are and have always been entirely polygonal. The smoothing occurs in the rendering algorithm so the details will always be somewhat faceted at the edges.

I just use true arcs in my profiles and accept the odd times when the faceting shows up in details and close ups. If it's really crucial I can always revert to my old library parts, but of course that's just more polygons/facets/line segments.
True arcs are much smoother than splines in a profile even when they are very nearly identical.
This seems odd to me since we are talking about only the shape of the fill not any lines.
I made two fills as nearly identical as I could. One fill stretched to a spline that was actually made using the magic wand on some arcs. the spline and the arcs are the same shape. The shape made to fit the splilne was exactly the same but had one extra node on each curve.

I am made one sindle profile out of them and in a section, one is much smoother than the other. The one that fits the arcs is much smoother. Hmm....

It is not clear to me exactly how to always make a smooth curve.

Here is a fill/profile that you can see has arcs only. You can tell this by looking at the number of nodes. But look how it is not smooth even when useing the best magic wand settings. I tried many options.

Same curves in AutoCAD look very smooth.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25