Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Beam & column tool

Anonymous
Not applicable
I want to be able to use the beam and column tool and have the standard AISC steel dimensions shapes menu. I don't see it when I go to the settings dialog box, except for the complex structure box which provides the shape. I want to be able to select from a list of structural members (W12x14, C8.5x11, WT3x4, etc). I can't seem to figure this out. The only way I can find them is through the object tool. I don't want to use the object tool, I want to be able to use the beam and column tool.
19 REPLIES 19
Erika Epstein
Booster
In the US library you have the standard AISC steel sizes as library parts. See screenshot.
If you want to apply AISC sizes to custom profiles
AISC steel sizes in US lib parts.jpg
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Erika Epstein
Booster
Then you can use the following method to bring the sizes into the custom profile editor.

[still not sure why the library won't do for what you want; it would be interesting to know why if you don't mind sharing]
Erika
Architect, Consultant
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

owen
Newcomer
Karl wrote:
If the web site is true correct that your firm has over 400 employees..
I always knew you were smart but telepathic Karl? No sig, no links .. how do you find this info??
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for explaining that w/ the profile editor. That works, but seems to be too much work.

I could use the library, but why is there a beam tool if you can't use AISC standard beams? That seems to be negating the purpose of the beam and column tool. I don't want to have to go into the library every time to find the beam I want. Why isn't there a pull down menu from the Beam and column command for standard steel sizes?
Thomas Holm
Booster
iver7044 wrote:
Thank you for explaining that w/ the profile editor. That works, but seems to be too much work.

I could use the library, but why is there a beam tool if you can't use AISC standard beams? That seems to be negating the purpose of the beam and column tool. I don't want to have to go into the library every time to find the beam I want. Why isn't there a pull down menu from the Beam and column command for standard steel sizes?
Man, sometimes I simply think we're too kind and helpful here. If a professional architect is too lazy to even take a look at the help files of his bread-and-butter program, not mentioning check the Reference Guide that's installed with the program (also in the Help menu), why should we even bother?
CAD (Computer AIded Design) is all about libraries. You pre-define and re-use things. If it's too much work to use pre-defined profiles with the profile manager, or you're not prepared to use the library, where the pre-defined items reside, OK go and model them yourself, and stop whining here! Go get some training, for Pete's sake! Archicad is a professional tool, not a playground toy for spoiled children!
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Karl Ottenstein
iver7044 wrote:
Without repeating the "get some training" thing...oops, I guess I just repeated it...

This is a reasonable wish/request I think. Why indeed can we not have a more sophisticated beam/column tool? History tells us why we are where we are today. But, a new user cares little for history - only performance, and the old GS motto of "works the way you do".

Building up a library of profiles for the beam and column tool is a partial solution - but as noted in old wishes, there is no hierarchy (folder structure) to help the user when hundreds of profiles are present. It is a "version 1" feature that has never made it to "version 2".

But, iver, if you study the steel objects, you'll discover a remarkable amount of intelligence that just does not exist for the beam (or column) tool, even with profiles, not the least of which is the various cutting options for each end of the beam. It was easier for GS to provide these intelligent objects than to add major new features to the tool. I guess I got myself back to history/reality...

Anyway...I think yours is not only a reasonable expectation/wish ... but think that it shows that GS needs to do a better job of meeting new user expectations, not merely evolving old features for old users.

Cheers,
Karl

PS Owen - thanks, but not feeling very smart lately. Moderators have access to a bit of hidden info about users here...
w-beam.png
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Why should I get training. I hardly use archicad at all. I just need to use if for one project.
Thomas Holm
Booster
iver7044 wrote:
Why should I get training. I hardly use archicad at all. I just need to use if for one project.
So why should we bother to help you?
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Erika Epstein
Booster
Karl wrote:
Moderators have access to a bit of hidden info about users here...
Karl aka 'Big Brother'
Erika
Architect, Consultant
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

owen
Newcomer
i think this is a valid question/complaint ... a GDL script is much more portable means of distributing things like this, and provides for a much more intelligent solution (e.g a few simple scripts calling values from a text file). I think this is a perfect example of why Graphisoft should have incorporated referencing GDL scripts into the Complex Profiles (therefore Curtain Wall, etc). The current tool is pretty dumb IMO .. still very useful, just could be a lot better in v2

PS. The lack of folder structures to organize ANYTHING throughout ArchiCAD really is frustrating .. it cant be that hard to solve surely?
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5