Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Cabinetry! - Archicad for interior designers, ever?

cocoloco
Expert

Hello! could someone help me please to customize the archicad cabinetry? I am sure I must be missing something because I can't explain otherwise this nuance?! No , I know it can't be real. 

I am trying to build SEVERAL segments/cabinetry openings into ONE single cabinet... No I don't want to build 3 cabinets that is nonsense also because the sink would overlap in the side cabinets.. anyway.

Attached is photo of what I am trying to accomplish

1. top row : Left drawer, in middle panel since it is under sink, right side drawer

2. under: left 3 drawers, middle double cabinet, right 3 drawers. 

( so far I could only accomplish one drawer on top, and double doors on bottoms but that is not what I need? 

That is it!  Please please spare me of this nightmare. Please don't make me model this.. :((( I am using archicad 27 (yes archicad 27, 27 years and still workarounds :D. 

Screenshot 2024-09-12 at 9.14.34 AM.png

Operating system used: Mac Apple Silicon 14 Sonoma

MacBook Pro, Sonoma: 2.6 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7, Intel 16GB mem,
Archicad Solo 26 and 27 (in testing mode)
9 REPLIES 9
Barry Kelly

I don't use the Graphisoft objects, so I am not too familiar with them.

But I think at best they can only do a double door cabinet, maybe with a drawer above.

I would say you would have to build that from 3 separate cabinet units.

Maybe with a separate splashback judging from another of your posts.

If you need to use this again in other files, you can save it all as a module (MOD) file.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
mthd
Ace

This add on tool may also assist you in your endeavors with Archicad 27 cabinets to do what you want above ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHZIFNVUFQw

AC8.1 - AC28 ARM AUS + CI Tools
Apple Mac Studio M1 Max Chip 10C CPU
24C GPU 7.8TF 32GB RAM OS Sequoia

I just quickly opened the video and yes that would work as the cabinets looks like they have zillions customizations! BUT where to get these cabinets? 😄 It does not look like mine in the built in archicad library, and I don't see any link at that video for download. Could you please please elaborate? It seems like it could solve my problem 

I see that he applied a cabinet tool - which I don't have. He said to find it through work environment - apply profile - Cl tool profile 27 - which I don't have neither?!! How is this possible??? 

Screenshot 2024-09-13 at 8.08.30 AM.png

Patrick M
Advisor

I think the thing about any complex design element is you can't use a one size fits all solution.

Example: the stair tool works great for basic stairs, but if you ever find you have some feature, nosing, winding, turning, custom tread, etc.; it's best to model with slabs, beams, columns, roofs, etc. Or augment the OOTB stair with said elements. While you can likely get the stair tool to do about anything you need it to, there will always be some compromise to the intended design here and there and/or you will spend an inordinate amount of time fussing with it to get to the point where you just say "well, thats close enough".

The same applies to doors and windows, railings, cabinets, furniture, plumbing fixtures, etc. All these complex components are great out of the box, when "close enough" is close enough.

A custom cabinet like you are showing CAN technically be done with a single cabinet object; but there are going to be compromises when you start getting into sticking, rails, stiles, face frame positions, etc. Not to mention the door swing and drawer pull (the later of which is sadly still missing from our cabinet and MVO options) symbols, hardware options, etc.

From what you have drawn, I would use the cabinet object to model: counter, backsplash, sink, cabinet box, toe kick. Set the cabinet to open/empty, and model the rest with other cabinets or just slabs, beams, columns. I've even seen walls and doors used for cabinet components.

So if you just need a basic cabinet to get the point across; set it up with doors and drawers at approximate widths and positions and call it good. If you are designing (or translating shop drawings of) a custom cabinet package, it has to be broken down into components and model primitives.

BIM solutions and trouble shooting (self proclaimed) expert. Using Archicad 26 5002 US on Mac OS 11.5.2

Contact Central Innovations for this specific CI tool. I think you can get a trial for free for one month. The link is here.

https://centralinnovation.com/archicad/ci-tools/

CI Tools cabinet tool is the best! It is so good, really. Worth every penny if you that sort of work a lot.

Pushing the boundaries of local time/space continuum since 1972.
Archicad 26 | iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) | 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 | 24 GB | Radeon Pro 580 8 GB | macOS 12.6

& @Professor Pickle  - ANOTHER subscription?😭 i will check it but I can’t afford another one especially expensive one, also I use this sporadically, not a full time. But yes. I will check….

By the way since you use it, I seen that it also has “electric” tool, not just cabinetry - have you use it? Could you elaborate if you don’t mind? 

Hi Patrick, 

thanks for the feedback! 

I understand what are you saying. I understand archicad can’t have build in library with everything to be customizable. But I disagree that the library should be just as standard to show intention, and if it’s not enough then it should be modeled. I disagree because this is not a free software and because other softwares already have built in library that is customizable and intuitive to save time. Your subscribers are not only engineers, and architects but also interior designers such as me. We want tool that doesn’t take away the time from us and where we don’t need to model something that should already exist. One is cabinetry (did you know that the existing cabinetry leaves lines in between when put next to each other ? So it looks like my carpenter should make the cut there! … and yes, I tried all settings to hide it. Did you know that your walls have so many settings but doesn’t have integrated option to add simple thing like baseboards? I have to model it all separately, although it’s part of the wall…. ).

these are interior designers problems I spent researching hours and hours…. While in other softwares these are already integrated, in 2024 but for many years. I seen many forum posts about these items but archicad dismiss to fix it and focus completely south. 

I don’t want to compare archicad to other softwares because that would not be fair but I’ll say that archicad is behind to what should be already done for interiors.

last year I was very excited when you announced the tool to custom made furniture. It’s the worst tool I have ever used and was not able to model even a chair. No kidding, that’s how unfortunate the UI is. People don’t want to train 1 month to make simple furniture, and no it should not be that difficult. or make a curved slab cuts from any angle…or add baseboards and moldings to walls…  or cabinetry… 

I bring this because to your point, the library should not be used as “shop drawings” , but I think it absolutely should especially with cabinetry, because again, archicad is tool for interior designers too and if archicad is doing annual upgrades for engenders and architects, to save their time, it should also do upgrades for interior designing to save time.

thank you for reading. I hope I had explained my concerns 

Those tools can be purchased separately. The electrical tool has symbols for my specific region but you may be able to find the electrical 2D symbols in the library for your region. 

Please search “CI tools electrical” to find videos on it. Also you would need to start a new topic to discuss electrical.

Setup info provided by author