Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Can i draw in 3d in Ac 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just i looked at this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv_2ur7GscA&feature=player_embedded
in 2:14 i saw he can draw in 3d did i have this ability also for walls creation and window and door on walls i know there is guide line but i need this feature for walls so it is available on archicad 15 or not to draw walls with pet pallette shown in 3d like shell
4 REPLIES 4
Karl Ottenstein
Hard to understand your actual question.

You have always been able to 'draw' / model in 3D, walls, slabs, whatever. Moving the user origin is the key to getting things started at the desired base height.

In 15, working in 3D is much, much easier and intuitive because of the grid and guidelines.

If you mean can you create a wall with a sloping base, no. Nothing has changed in the wall tool functionality. Creating Roofs in 3D has always had the special method that lets you click on any three points to create the roof plane. Only the new Shell Tool lets you rotate things, if that is what you are looking for.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.7, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
all i want to reach the ability to work in 3d just like google sketchup so i can think on the model meaning i want to edit on 3d whether walls or doors or windows with certain dimension from edge of the wall
iN GOOGLE sKETCHUP i can see lines in 2d and 3d in archicad no i can not see line drawing is lines are being shown in archicad 15 instead of only 2d mean when i draw lines or circle in 2d i want to see it in 3d without have to extrude mass
Karl Ottenstein
No, you cannot draw lines in 3D in AC 15. (You can create guidelines in 3D - but they are only guides - they disappear after being used.)

What lines are you drawing in 2D that you want to see in 3D? It sounds like rather than needing this feature, there may be a better working method to achieve what you need. (3D lines do not make sense to me in BIM software.)

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.7, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Here is a trick I just thought of, then tried and it works:

Set the Wall height to zero and its thickness to zero.
If now you place such a Wall in 3D, it is actually a 3D line.
It works.
However, since the base of a Wall is always horizontal you will be able to draw only horizontal lines this way.

There seems to be one setting requirement: in the 3D Window Settings dialog, make sure Contours are not set to OFF. Then these Wall-lines will be displayed in 3D and there will be no error messages either.

I tried it and it works even in AC12, maybe also in even earlier version, I have not tried those.

If you want to use this trick, it may be a good idea to save a Wall Favorite with these settings so you can quickly activate whenever it is needed.

I think the reason drawing "lines" in 3D is very useful because then the SPACE-click method can be used on them quickly.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27