cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
License Delivery maintenance is expected to occur on Saturday, October 19, between 4 and 6 PM CEST. This may cause a short 60-minute outage in which license-related tasks: license key upload, download, update, SSA validation, access to the license pool may not function properly. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Cant open .pln files automatically with Archicad 27

egegunalp
Newcomer

When I try to open a .pln file, which is a version 27 Archicad file, but it still tries to open the file with Archicad 26. I couldn't find any way to change the default app for the .pln file to Archicad 27. It also doesn't show up in settings of Windows 11.

Operating system used: Windows 11

5 REPLIES 5
Barry Kelly

You can right click o the file and chose 'Open With' and browse for Archicad 27 program file.

Sometimes it will give you the option to always associate with that program.

Or go into the Archicad Program folder.

In there look for a folder called "Graphisoft Shell Extension".

In there will be a "Register.bat" file.

Double click that to run it and it should now associate .PLN with Archicad 27.

You may have to restart your computer to take affect.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Hi Barry,

I am having an issue with this at the moment that you might be able to help me out with? Our office is currently swapping over to AC27 but in the mean time we are finishing our current jobs with 25. I want to open a .DWG in AC25, but it is defaulting to 27. If I right click and do the "Open With" and browse to Archicad 25 and try using that (also tried the Starter .exe) it simply doesn't add it as an option to open the file.

Any ideas on how to fix that? It seems to be an issue since I got a new laptop with windows 11.

Cheers

Opening a PLN file by double clicking the file name in the browser can only be associated to one Archicad version.

As you have installed 27 last, it will default to 27.

If you want to open in older files, you have to 'Open With' or just start version 25 and then browse for the file you want or choose from the recent file list.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

Hi Barry,

Thanks for the reply. That is kind of my issue though, I can't select Archicad 25 in the "open with" settings. If i right click on a .dwg, click "open with" then navigate to the Archicad 25 folder and select "ARCHICAD.exe" then my "open with" menu just doesn't change.

I am assuming it has something to do with both AC25 and AC27 being "Archicad.exe", so windows is saying "You have already added archicad.exe to open DWG files, here it is in AC27"?

I hope I am making sense, but it is a really frustrating bug that I can't open DWGs in archicad 25 by clicking on them anymore?

step two : Select AC25step two : Select AC25step one : open withstep one : open withStep three : AC25 still isn't an optionStep three : AC25 still isn't an option

EDIT: Sorry I'm not sure why these pictures have gone out of order, the captions say what order they should be in though haha

I think the problem may be that every version is just called 'Archicad.exe'.

Usually (or at least in older versions of Windows), once you have searched for another app, it would add that to the list in future.

You can re-associate it to 25 by going to the "Graphisoft Shell Extension" folder in 25 application folder and running the 'Register.bat' file.

You may have to restart your machine.

That should work.

But now you can't double click and open a 27 file.

I use many different versions, and I just have the programs added to my start bar.

So, I open the version I want and then pick from the recent file list or browse if it is a new file I haven't opened before.

Or sometimes I will open Archicad with any file and just close the file leaving Archicad running.

Then drag and drop the file from Windows Explorer into the running application.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

Setup info provided by author