Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Carriage House Garage Door

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am attempting to model a door similar to the door # 206 on this web site. http://www.carriagedoor.com/design.htm

I am not having any luck with the AC9 Library.....

Any Ideas?
43 REPLIES 43
Anonymous
Not applicable
Here is the image of what it looks like in 3d
door image copy.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
Here is the panel alone inserted in the wall. However this losses some of the options I get when using the method described in this post.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I still have not tried to make my own door.....

But I am inspired.

Here is a Web site with some Hinges and door pulls, if any are interested

Hinges

Pulls
Anonymous
Not applicable
Here is another site that you can design the door you want and save the image for a Merge into AC.

Door Design

Note: the upper and lower images save separately.
Karl Ottenstein
Jay wrote:
Here is another site that you can design the door you want and save the image for a Merge into AC.

Door Design
Cool site. Thanks, Jay!

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.9, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Well, I created a door from slabs. I selected the Slabs ( Don't know if they have to be grouped together) File>GDL Objects>Save Selection as....

There does not seem to be an option for saving as door.
No matter the Custom panel seems to Work......Sort of.

I first created an 8-foot door (with the border elements with ID of wallhole.)
All is well except for the wall hole does not seem angled and of course the corner trim is at 90 degrees and not the angle of the door opening.

Also I copied this door and created a 9-foot option (the 8-foot custom panel would stretch to fill a 9-foot opening, but I did not want the door material dimensions to stretch, so I made a new object.)

I also created a 16-foot object. Both the 9-foot and the 16-foot are missing the wallhole elements.

Even if I create another 8-foot object with a new name from the original slabs that created the 8-foot custom object that displays the wall hole elements, the new object is also missing the Slabs with the ID of wallhole.

So Summary....
* Can I get the wall hole to have an angled top?(or Even an arched top as Mike Hann displays)

* Why are the new objects creating a wall hole but missing the slabs that created the wall hole?
Angled Wall Hole.JPG
Anonymous
Not applicable
Well, I think that the first time that I created the 8-foot door I saved the selection without giving the border slab members with the ID of wallhole. Using the Custom door panel option it seems that the ID of wallhole is not necessary, unless as Link stated, it is an unusual shape.

Because my door is not rectangular (an unusual shape), I went back and gave the Border members the ID of "Border" and created a new Slab (don't know if the material of this slab matters) that is the outline of the door and give it an ID of wallhole.

My wallhole slab seems to be added in vain.

I created a Test Custom panel using an arched top wall hole and the wall hole is not used. It seems that when using the "custom Panel" option in the door panel style of the AC doors a rectangular hole is cut using the Height and the width of the opening. no matter if the saved object has a slab with the ID of wallhole.....

Now I am curious as to how Mike Hann inserted his panel alone into the wall (See his "door panel.jpg").

I am creating & saving these objects from the AC plan view. In other words the doors are laying flat on the ground.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Mike wrote:
I just got around to trying this method, but when I chose the custom panel, the center of my panel is placed at the edge of the door......
See
This Thread

You must actually be creating doors and not objects. I guess that we can not have arched or angled top objects as custom panels with AC doors and expect them to have a Custom wall hole too...

I still can not see though how to save my Glorified slabs as anything but objects. I don't see the option for saving as a door.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Jay

To save them as doors, you must open the GDL script, and then select the subtype from the drop down menu at the top of the GDL window. Navigate through the hierarchical list until you get to wallopenings (or something similar) and select Door (or something similar - I can't remember the exact wording).

You may need to precede all the 3D script with a ROTX 90 or possibly a ROTX-90 command to make the objects behave properly. It may also be necessary to make an adjustment of the door's location in relation to its 'hole' in the wall with an ADDX or ADDZ or ADDY - again I can't recall which is correct. The adjustment required is usually half the width of the door/opening. If you care to send me a PM I'll give you my email addresss and you can send me the object and I will see if I can make work for you!!

Mike
Anonymous
Not applicable
I was not actually looking to make a Door object, that is if the use of the AC door with the Custom Panel worked.

I created it as a Door and added the ROTX 90 to the 3d Script. (Flying Blind here).

Not the result I wanted...

Even if I do work this out The object has no Trim or casing. Seems like I would have to model those as slabs also a save a new object.

I like the "custom panel" option with the AC Doors except for the Wallhole not working for the Custom Shapes.
Flat Garage Door.JPG