Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Carriage House Garage Door

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am attempting to model a door similar to the door # 206 on this web site. http://www.carriagedoor.com/design.htm

I am not having any luck with the AC9 Library.....

Any Ideas?
43 REPLIES 43
Karl Ottenstein
MikeS wrote:
Jay

To save them as doors, you must open the GDL script, and then select the subtype from the drop down menu at the top of the GDL window. Navigate through the hierarchical list until you get to wallopenings (or something similar) and select Door (or something similar - I can't remember the exact wording).

You may need to precede all the 3D script with a ROTX 90 or possibly a ROTX-90 command to make the objects behave properly. ...

Ayyyyyyyyyy! (Anguished cries echoing through my head, since my office is too small to create echoes....)

Selecting the subtype is not correct. This provides parameters based on the subtype, and is a wise (but not necessary) thing to do if creating your own doors.

No rotation/etc is required either.

Please read the steps in David's object making book in the online help if you want to create doors.

Doors are created flat in plan at the origin with project 0 representing the outside face... etc. You do NOT have to view the object in any special way to save as a door.

Just open the 3D window in axo view, at any angle whatsoever, and when you Save as GDL, select the "door" icon in the save dialog (right-most icon in attached screenshot). THIS is what AC uses to perform the automatic rotation, and - if there was a slab called WALLHOLE - automatic hole cutting. See attached screenshot and do read the object making chapter.

Similarly, if you are saving custom panels, you do NOT rotate anything. ArchiCAD takes care of it all.

No hair left to pull out.... 😉

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.9, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Karl Ottenstein
Jay wrote:
I was not actually looking to make a Door object, that is if the use of the AC door with the Custom Panel worked.

I created it as a Door and added the ROTX 90 to the 3d Script. (Flying Blind here).

Not the result I wanted...

Even if I do work this out The object has no Trim or casing. Seems like I would have to model those as slabs also a save a new object.

I like the "custom panel" option with the AC Doors except for the Wallhole not working for the Custom Shapes.
Hi Jay,

WALLHOLE does not have any meaning except when SAVING a fresh door or window object. At that time, AC 9 uses the ID=WALLHOLE to replace the given slab with a hole cutting operation matching that slab's geometry.

In the case of custom panels, those panels are NOT doors, they are objects. Each is built flat on the ground in plan view, but it cannot have a shape other than that given by the 'host' door - rectangular in all cases that I can recall.

If you want an irregularly shaped door, such as those from the garage door web site, you need to create the entire thing yourself. It is REALLY easy. Yes, you do need to create the trim yourself, but simply use the magic wand and the wall tool to do so.

For example:

1. bring your saved image from that web site into plan and scale it. Place the lower left corner at the origin of story 0 (project 0 height); not absolutely necessary, but makes editing easier later if the GDL requires editing.

2. Draw a slab over it, using the pet palette as necessary to get the right shape and thickness for the door, using as many accurate dimensions as possible.

3. Set the wall tool to the desired height/thickness for the jam. Magic wand the slab. Suspend grouping and delete the base which doesn't belong there. (For heights of trim - see the online object making book: anything below project zero is outside the wall...but you will probably use an offset when placing the door.)

4. Set the wall tool to the desired values for trim. Magic wand it on, etc.

5. Create an offset copy of your door slab that includes the jam and name this slab WALLHOLE. This slab will cut the hole and otherwise never be seen again in the result.

6. Set your materials and use the align texture operation to align the materials exactly as desired. In the case of the door itself, create a new material with your image as the texture and the size exactly equal to your door slab. View in 3D OpenGL and use align texture on the corner of the door slab to make your image match exactly. Etc.

7. View in 3D, and from File GDL menu, Save as GDL, and select the Door button (rightmost one). Save in project lib.

Typing fast, so may have left something out or said something wrong ... again, see David's Object Making book in the online help system. 😉

Regards,
Karl

PS Save all your bits and pieces of the door as a Module file so that you can load the geometry again and edit it if you need to revise the door (without editing GDL). And/or draw it all on a layer that is normally hidden and which is reserved for GDL object construction.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.9, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl is correct - even though his reaction to my suggestion may have been OTT - it's just that I am used to scripting objects from scratch, and had forgotten the simple way i.e save the objects as a door!!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Jay, you must save the "door" out of the 3d window to have the option to save it as a door. I believe you want to be looking at a top view (as if you are viewing the final door in elevation). By the way I get up to Donner lake with relative frequency - right in your neighbor hood.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I guess I posted before reading all of the response and Karl has (as usual) given you a very complete answer. One other free add-on that I am loving is "rxAutoMaterials 9.0". This was generously offered by Oleg Schmidt and you can find a reference to it at
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=5759&highlight=materials
What this will do is assign a parameter to every different material that is used to "build" library parts. Great for making your doors more flexible into the future
Andy Thomson
Advisor
I am looking over this stuff, wondering how I can specify a 'custom panel' in the 'Panel and Knob Types' dialogue portion of the lib-parameters for the pre-existing 'D2 Bifold' door in ArchiCAD Library 9.PLA.

To be precise, I have a wall of storefront glazing, also taken from the AC9 library, and now I want to add custom bifolding portions to it.

I saved the correct size (panel) segment of storefront from the 3D window as a GSM .DOR object, but it comes in with a weird squashed shape (when I named the panel in the 'Custom Panel' field) , I tried adding a ROTX 0, instead of the ROTX 90 that was there by default from having saved it as a DOR, but then the panel extends to 100' below the threshold...

Any help would really be appreciated!

A.
Andy Thomson, M.Arch, OAA, MRAIC
Director
Thomson Architecture, Inc.
Instructor/Lecturer, Toronto Metropolitan University Faculty of Engineering & Architectural Science
AC26/iMacPro/MPB Silicon M2Pro
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you Karl for the Encouragement to Create my own door. It really is not to difficult. Saving As modules will hopefully prove to help me with other doors that I may create.

I am always proud of my work when you are involved in helping me....

But I have not been Successful this time.

This first Screen shot is of the Door object before saving as a door object.

See next Message
Anonymous
Not applicable
Here is the door object placed in a wall.

As can be seen the slab with the Wallhole ID is present in the object. also as seen in both 2D and 3D the wall hole that is cut is all the way out to the Trim and is Rectangular. The Trim is a wall with the ID of Trim. I many try saving an object without the trim and see what happens.
Anonymous
Not applicable
A zoom in to show that the wall hole is actually all the way out to the trim.
Anonymous
Not applicable
andyro wrote:
.... how I can specify a 'custom panel' in the 'Panel and Knob Types' dialogue portion of the lib-parameters for the pre-existing 'D2 Bifold' door in ArchiCAD Library 9.PLA....

Any help would really be appreciated!

A.
Andy, I have been saving the Panels (created from Slabs) by selecting them in the 2D window and File>GDL Object>Save selection as...

Give the Panel a name and place it in a loaded Library. I have created a New folder in my Loaded Office default Library folder called "Panels".

Hope that helps.