Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Closing Brick Cavity

Anonymous
Not applicable
How do you close a brick cavity?
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
?!?
Ben Cohen
Advocate
At the end of a cavity wall, use the wall end tool.
If you need to turn or close the wall at a window or door, there are cavity closing parameters in most window and door parts
Ben Cohen
Mac and PC
Archicad (Latest Version) aus
www.4DLibrary.com.au
__archiben
Booster
is it a joke?

i would use a cavity closer.

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Ben Cohen
Advocate
Funny... that product isn't used around here AFAIK. This is what we call a cavity closer brick. It will be interesting to see which one he meant.
Ben Cohen
Mac and PC
Archicad (Latest Version) aus
www.4DLibrary.com.au
__archiben
Booster
i was being slightly facetious toward what was a pretty vague question.

sure - traditionally the cavity was closed by turning the brick skin toward the inner (usually block) skin, (or the other way around ). and i can see how your closer brick would be a natural and cost-effective progression from that in climates that allow it.

the example i gave of a modern plastic closer is a way of thermally breaking the cavity as well as closing it off. a smaller version can also be combined with turning the leaf - particularly on deep reveals. it's probably less applicable in your warmer neck of the woods

and a little more seriously than i was originally - both of those options are available as cavity closing parameters in the door and window library objects. you need to be using composite walls for them to work of course.

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup