Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Complex Profile Side Material Stuck

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am an SE 2014 user.
Somehow in the middle of my project all of my beams show up in 3D as common bond brick pattern. (I accidently used this while creating a profile for a beam). I tried creating new profiles explicitly with ceiling white side materials and every beam, including the existing ones are rendered in the brick pattern. I tried "override" in the complex profile menu. I tried changing the common bond brick material pattern to ceiling white to no avail. Is this just a bug or am I missing something? javascript:emoticon('Confused')
I am self taught on Archicad so I might be missing something basic.

Thanks for the help.
2 REPLIES 2
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
The side surface of a Custom Profile Beam can come from various settings:

Normally, the surface comes from the Surface setting of the Building Material set for the Beam component in the Profile Manager Palette.
However, you can override this in the Profile Manager Palette. In the Components- Selected panel of the Palette you can uncheck the Use Building Material checkbox and define a Uniform Surface for all sides surface of the Beam. Or you can set a different Surface for any of the Beam Profile's Edges in the Profile Editor Window.
Then there is the Override buttons in the Model panel of the Beam Settings Dialog. When a Complex Profiled Beam is selected, only the firs and fifth fields are active. The first button can override all side surfaces of the Beam, while the fifth button can override both end surfaces of the Beam. If you click the Override button, the Surface selection button to its right will become enabled.
I suspect you have this override button activated and this is why all you Beams have a brick surface no matter what you do.

Also check out this short clip that talks about surface overrides. The part that talks about elements with custom profiles starts at around 2:20:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9PLDkbOGx8
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks very much,
What I wasn't doing was selecting the profile in the profile editor before changing the siding materials box.