Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Composite structure

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

What is the advantage or otherwise of using a composite structure/material, instead of using the simple vectorial/symbol hatching for wall, slabs and roof. as these will also show in most windows.

Thank you.
17 REPLIES 17
__archiben
Booster
Tom wrote:
Don't want any fills to show up, just the lines.
tom

are you aware that this can be achieved with a model view option? you can set your composites up to be as decorative as you like, but as soon as you apply the MVO setting in the attached screenshot the composites will display only as lines.

that is what gives archicad some of it's documentation power: representing the same thing is a whole host of different ways depending on the desired outcome. and it means you don't need different composites for different purposes, right?

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
__archiben
Booster
Peter wrote:
The way you had set it up before should work properly. If the fills are different the lines should display. Strange bug!
... unless your model view option is set not to show skin separator lines . . .
b e n f r o s t
__archiben
Booster
same composite, many options. some are clearly less useful than others. "without finishes" is an option i have absolutely no use for. neither do i use the rather messy looking displays without separator lines or with solid foreground fills unless in "core only" mode. different pen sets will change the display yet again . . .

your results may vary.

-->
b e n f r o s t
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
You can set up composites all day long, but unless your wall settings have the 'Apply Structure's Settings' checked, they will be overridden.

It's possible to use set pens to change your composite's appearance too, although I doubt this is the issue here.

And in addition to the current list, composites are also better for accurate calculation. In fact many companies use composites exclusively.

Cheers,
Link.
Tom Krowka
Enthusiast
Wall is set to apply structure's setting. MVO is set as in the attachment. When I select the wall, hit OK, the separator lines show up. As soon as I hit rebuild, the lines disappear, regardless of settings.
Does rebuild use the saved MVO setting? Will have to experiment.
Tom Krowka Architect
Windows 11, AC Version 26
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Karl Ottenstein
I think the only thing left to look at then is your Floor Plan Cut Plane and your wall display options...?

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.9, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Tom Krowka
Enthusiast
The answer lies in the section mark settings. Under Model Display, Cut Elements....if the "Uniform Pen for Cut Elements" box is checked, you only see the outline of the wall. If it is unchecked, then the MVO options take over.
IMHO the label for that option is a bit misleading. It seems like it does the same thing the MVO does but in another location, and overrides it.
Tom Krowka Architect
Windows 11, AC Version 26
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
__archiben
Booster
Tom wrote:
The answer lies in the section mark settings. Under Model Display, Cut Elements....if the "Uniform Pen for Cut Elements" box is checked, you only see the outline of the wall.
doh! of course. because every element is given the same cut fill settings they heal. well figured out.

i must admit, i never use the 'uniform pen...' setting - i prefer instead to use the MVOs and the pens i've already dedicated in the composites dialogue.

one to watch out for in the future . . .

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t