Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Corner Trim on Wood Siding - Possible?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am wondering how to attach wood corner trim to houses with wood siding. I want them to show up in the elevations automatically. Also, what about brick quoins a the corners. Any traditional residential master out there?

Thanks,
Stan
32 REPLIES 32
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm not sure I understand from your description (a picture would help). Are you referring to a missing mortar joint at the horizontal seam between two elements? If so, I believe this is a bug in the 3D hatching (also elevations). The choices are: draw the line(s) in 2D, adjust the fill origin(s) in 3D, or slightly change the elements heights. Of these the first seems (unfortunately) to be the least problematic. I suppose one other solution could be to change the brick coursing by some minute amount (small enough so it doesn't accumulate to a noticeable degree over the height of the structure).
Anonymous
Not applicable
Matthew,

Actually the whole band that should be against the sides of the joists.. my vendor says to just draw the slab to the brick edge and set the side textures ti brick.. Then I would have to "fix" the section in 2d...

I think I will try to draw it properly.. add the veneer to the slab with a wall.
Karl Ottenstein
Rick wrote:
One other thing in ...I find helpful is to think through the line thickness displayed in elevation. I assign a thicker line to the corner boards than is assigned to the siding. This helps the elevations look right without as mush fussing. You can add "L" shaped corner boards with pre-set heights and place 4 (different orentations) on your residential templates, then you can drag them into place and the whole procedure is quick and painless. I pre-set the height to bump up to the fascia board, which it also a little wall. Both these I define as a "composite", even thought they are simple walls. This gives them names for referencing and defined thicknesses. These are easily assigned to a property object for material list calculations.
Excellent, Rick. 🙂
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.9, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Karl Ottenstein
Rashid wrote:
Actually the whole band that should be against the sides of the joists.. my vendor says to just draw the slab to the brick edge and set the side textures ti brick.. Then I would have to "fix" the section in 2d...
That is one of several ways. What you choose to do depends on what will require the least amount of work overall IMHO. If you only have one or two sections that show the floor/wall intersection, then I'd go with your reseller's tip. When you make the edge of the slab be the same material as the brick veneer walls with the same intersection priority, the fill and material will match in elevation/render and you will not get horizontal lines in section/3d, so the wall will look 'right'. You will have to use the Patch Tool to fix the sections though.

Another way requires that you draw a short (brick) wall all around your slab to fill the gap (well, you'd keep an air/weep space, etc. too as in your composite) - matching how it would be built in reality. I would prefer this method for brick/stone/other-thick-nonstructural veneer that should otherwise show in sections.

Something on the wishlist is for slabs to have edge conditions ... then we would be able to say that the slab has brick of a certain thickness around the edge and avoid both of the above.

HTH,
Karl
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.9, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Rick Thompson
Expert
Rashid wrote:
Matthew,

I would recommend making a copy of your wall composite, assuming it is accurately reflecting the true composition. Remove everything from the studs in. Renane it something like brick strip (I also have one for siding). Place it on the perimeter of the floor slab and it will read corectly in 3d and in building sections. You will need to place it on it's own layer (exterior misc), not the wall layer as it will go through the windows and doors. I keep 2 main quickviews, one "work" and one "print". Turn the "exterior misc" layer on for "work" and off for "print". I have been doing this for years and it solves the problem. A long term wish is to be able to apply a composite to the side of a slab.
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl and Rick,

That is exactly what I did.. draw a short wall for the brick.. I just don't like "faking" things.. and yes it did need it's own layer as selection became "interesting".. Walls have tons of uses it seems..

Any ideas of why all the corners trim properly except these 2?? driving me NUTS.. I drew it clockwise with the reference line on the inside..

Thanks!
Karl Ottenstein
Rashid wrote:
Any ideas of why all the corners trim properly except these 2?? driving me NUTS.. I drew it clockwise with the reference line on the inside.. !
In three cases, the stub walls are cleaning up to another (invisible) wall. Make sure that the intersection priority number for the layer that you put this veneer into is unique relative to all other wall objects in the layer combinations that you will display this in.

In the case where the walls meet and don't clean to themselves or something else (far right gap), I'm guessing that they don't really touch properly.

Karl
Anonymous
Not applicable
re slabs and composite walls a couple of posts back

surely the slab (joists) should be drawn to the outside face of the studs and the composite wall top be at height of floor over. seo the slab from the wall if necessary for sections. this is is how it would be built n'est ce pas?

or am i not quite getting the drift javascript:emoticon(':(')
Karl Ottenstein
bill wrote:
surely the slab (joists) should be drawn to the outside face of the studs and the composite wall top be at height of floor over. seo the slab from the wall if necessary for sections. this is is how it would be built n'est ce pas?
Duh. Yup. Makes sense to me if the seo result in section looks right. Thanks, Bill. (This does remind me of someone else's wish on the wishlist for controllable heights for the skins of a composite, avoiding the seo.)

Karl
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl,

I will remember that one.. changed intersection priority and solved! instant gratification!.. Thank you so much for the help.. Thanks..