Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Creating Custom Door Panel

Ted Taylor
Contributor
There is an option in a number of the door objects to create custom door panels. I could not find anything in the online help on how to make this work.

I tried the following:

Created door panel with odd shaped hole in it using slab tool in plan window.
Saved it as library object in 3d window - saved it to the door macro folder.
reloaded library.
inserted name of panel in appropriate spot in door dialog box.

The door has a panel but there is no hole in the panel.

Can some one point to where the procedure is given or explain the procedure.

Thanks,
Ted Taylor
Atlanta, GA , USA
iMac (Retina 5K, 27", Late 2015)
3.3 GHz Intel Core i5 32GB
AMD Radeon R9 M395 2GB
OS10.14.2,
Latest Archicad 22
13 REPLIES 13
Karl Ottenstein
The key is to save as an object, not a door. (The host door is THE door ... you are just making a panel. I know it is confusing, especially without documentation!)

Make your desired door panel as a slab, flat on the ground, select all elements of it, and save it as an object from the File | GDL Objects menu. (Since you're saving as an object, you can save from either the 2D or 3D window, actually.)

When I've done this I've modeled the slab with the lower left corner on the actual origin. I haven't tested to verify if this is necessary here.

Naturally, save into a project library folder that is loaded by library manager, and then do just as you did and type the name that you saved the slab as into the "Custom Panel Name" field in the door object settings dialog.

Some doors had a bug that prevents custom panels from working ... I can talk about the repair if that is an issue, too. (In 8.1, this bug is in the D1 Entrance 81 door, for example.)

Karl

PS Attached is the only doc about this that I know of ... part of a PDF from GS on storefront objects for some reason. Maybe there's a new doc in 9...didn't search.
gd-door-doc.gif
One of the forum moderators
AC 28 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.7, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Ted Taylor
Contributor
Thanks Karl,

It appears that I actually bumbled through the steps in the proper manner. I created an object and not a door. (I saved it to the same macro folder that contained the other door objects, but it apparently does not matter where or what folder you save it to)

A door panel shows up in the door library part with the proper material but no hole cut in the door panel. Placing the door panel object on the drawing by its lonesome shows the hole.

The door library part in question is D1 Metal door from Library 9. Is this one of the buggy ones in 8.1? Would appreciate the fix if it is.
Ted Taylor
Atlanta, GA , USA
AMD Radeon R9 M395 2GB
OS10.14.2,
Latest Archicad 22
Karl Ottenstein
Hi Ted,

No, that door works for me. You could PM me and attach your slab object and maybe I can see what's up. Send an MOD of the actual elements that were saved as the object too.

Below is a shot of a panel before saving...

Karl
door-slab.gif
AC 28 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.7, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Karl Ottenstein
...and here's that slab in the D1 Metal door in 9
custom-panel.jpg
Ted Taylor
Contributor
Karl,

I don't know if this is Maccentric or not, but what I have found is that if I save the door panel from the 2d plan window, everything works.

If I save the same panel from the 3d window, it is as before, the holes in the panel do not show in the door panel. They do not show in the library part dialog box and do not show when the door is placed in a wall. However, if I open the door panel object itself, the holes shows in the 3d preview. The holes just will not show when the panel is used in a door. The panel is there, just no openings.

This is consistent behavior, even after a restart and a new & reset.

If any other Mac users would check to see if they get the same behavior, I would appreciate it.

As an aside, it does not appear that the door panel needs to be created at the origin.

Much appreciation, Karl, for the help and inspiration .
Ted Taylor
Atlanta, GA , USA
AMD Radeon R9 M395 2GB
OS10.14.2,
Latest Archicad 22
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have problem with custom door panel.
I saved it & named "custom door_panel 01", but when I open door panel in door settings dialog box I can't put my own (custom) panel, it looks like locked. Is it a bug or something...

Has anyone else had these similar problems
Custom Door Panel.png
Anonymous
Not applicable
floradesign wrote:
I have problem with custom door panel.
I saved it & named "custom door_panel 01", but when I open door panel in door settings dialog box I can't put my own (custom) panel, it looks like locked. Is it a bug or something...
Maybe you saved your file in a directory that not been listed in your library manager?
Anonymous
Not applicable
I check it, the file is listed in my library manager!?!
Dennis Lee
Booster
My Custom panel field was seemingly 'locked' - and I was struggling with this issue, until I read the pdf guide for AC10 US library doors that I downloaded sometime ago somewhere.

In short, you have to save as "Custom Component", and not an "Object".
doorpanel.jpg
ArchiCAD 25 & 24 USA
Windows 10 x64
Since ArchiCAD 9