Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Curtain Wall and Timber Frame construction

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I'm creating a timber frame building, of which will have curtain wall. How can I do it so that when I create a window the columns that make the wall joists cut to the window as the window is complex ( in terms of shape ). I've tried the SEO but no matter how I set it up, the columns just don't cut.

Thank You
23 REPLIES 23
Anonymous
Not applicable
I think you need to provide pictures. Your description is difficult to understand.

It seems that you really need to study up on basic building methods and terminology. For example, walls don't have joists. There must be some books on framing methods at the university library, otherwise search online.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok, I'm sorry my terminology isn't that good... it's the first time I've looked at timber framing and I'm not sure on all the terminology.

Hopefully the image will explain what I mean. If not, let me know ! ( and the image is of a Elevation)

Thank you
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Nathan,

As an alternative to modelling the studs manually, there is an add-on that will do the wall framing/studwork automatically which is available from Cadimage - http://www.cadimagetools.com/tools.aspx?id=4

As you're a student it may be available for free.

There is also a basic wall framing wall accessory available from within ArchiCAD as standard, but it doesn't work very well for me. (Which is why it is still a unsupported 'goodie' rather than a proper add on!)

You can get it from the help menu in ArchiCAD. Look for the link to 'ArchiCAD 13 Downloads'. You will need to add the 'accessories library' separately after installation using the library manager. It will be found in the standard AC13 installation folder.

Both will analyse the geometry of any wall and automatically build all the studwork around any openings. They will also update if the wall is resized or openings moved, removed or added. Very clever stuff!
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm still not sure why you are so worried about stud walls in a timber frame. Even in a stick framed building it is unusual to model the framing. Typically the walls are just modeled as simple geometry and the framing layout is done by the contractor according to standard methods.

The opening for the complex window you show would typically be framed as a simple rectangular opening with kingstuds and jackstuds on either side with continuous a header and sill across the entire width. The odd shape would then be filled in with short bits. In the US we have numerous references for standard framing methods. Architectural Graphic Standards is one of which probably all Architects have at least one edition. You must have something similar over there. A quick browse will give you a host of pertinent info.

BTW: Curtainwall refers to a fully glazed system with no wall framing. What you have shown is just a complex window.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Matthew wrote:
I'm still not sure why you are so worried about stud walls in a timber frame. Even in a stick framed building it is unusual to model the framing. Typically the walls are just modeled as simple geometry and the framing layout is done by the contractor according to standard methods.

The opening for the complex window you show would typically be framed as a simple rectangular opening with kingstuds and jackstuds on either side with continuous a header and sill across the entire width. The odd shape would then be filled in with short bits. In the US we have numerous references for standard framing methods. Architectural Graphic Standards is one of which probably all Architects have at least one edition. You must have something similar over there. A quick browse will give you a host of pertinent info.

BTW: Curtainwall refers to a fully glazed system with no wall framing. What you have shown is just a complex window.
I see. So when I place the complex wall, should I ' cut' the studs manually or will SEO do this? Then after the window is in place and the studs have been cut to create a clear opening, I then just place jackstuds ( we call them noggins ) around the window for extra support, like you said ( I can picture this in my head now )

I apologise if I'm making this more complicated than it should be ( I tend to do that ), but I just wanted to know if there was any other way to go about it as I assumed the above way was it.

Thank you very much, the University doesn't teach you how to build a building, they just give you a brief but I do research my project and develop thems ( I've been told a lot more than other students )
Anonymous
Not applicable
(I've posted this previously so sorry for the cut and paste)

The best resource at Uni I found for general constructional details was the Mitchells Building series of books. They are bound to keep the full range in your local library if you haven't discovered them yet.

The 'Structure and Fabric' range would be a good place to start, but they are all interesting reads if you have the time and inclination.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Structure-Fabric-Pt-Mitchells-Building/dp/0131970941/ref=pd_sim_b_title_1

They should have various typical details for UK spec timber framed buildings.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Peter wrote:
Hi Nathan,

As an alternative to modelling the studs manually, there is an add-on that will do the wall framing/studwork automatically which is available from Cadimage - http://www.cadimagetools.com/tools.aspx?id=4

As you're a student it may be available for free.

There is also a basic wall framing wall accessory available from within ArchiCAD as standard, but it doesn't work very well for me. (Which is why it is still a unsupported 'goodie' rather than a proper add on!)

You can get it from the help menu in ArchiCAD. Look for the link to 'ArchiCAD 13 Downloads'. You will need to add the 'accessories library' separately after installation using the library manager. It will be found in the standard AC13 installation folder.

Both will analyse the geometry of any wall and automatically build all the studwork around any openings. They will also update if the wall is resized or openings moved, removed or added. Very clever stuff!
Cadimage Wall Framing looks like a brilliant tool. I've checked and I can't get that particular tool for free, I do however get a few Cadimage tools... Kind of a shame, though I did just spend 3 hours making it manually !

I'm trying to edit the scheme of the wall in 3D, but when I delete unwanted parts, they just re appear. Also, How do I actually change the thickness of the frame, I've checked the manual and I read about nominal thickness and custom thickness, but it won't change .

Thank You

Thank You
Screen shot 2010-01-27 at 21.09.03 copy.png
Anonymous
Not applicable
Request to the moderators,

There are two threads initiated by the same user on essentially the same subject. Can these be joined? The duplicate thread is "New/Custom composite walls ?"

Thanks,
Snap
Erika Epstein
Booster
NStocks wrote:
... Kind of a shame, though I did just spend 3 hours making it manually !
The exercise of doing it framing member by framing member is good for you. You learned a lot about how buildings are built

Cadimage and ,framewright both free for you as a student will now automate the procedure.

Now you can try both and report back to us the pros and cons of each of the 3 framing systems.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"