Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

Curving an object in two different planes

mthd
Ace

Hi, we had this question come up in the Chief Architect forum a few months ago. It certainly wasn’t an easy solution and it required an extensive work around in that program when the person asked for the arch molding in the picture to be curved around a radius wall. Although we can put a curved window into a curved wall with a double arch with a molding in Chief Architect, it was a difficult work around to achieve what this person was asking. 

I gave this person a private message and a link to a video from an accomplished user of Archicad who was doing a similar task with the morph tool in creating custom molding.

Here is the link to the excellent video and awesome method by MCJdesigns, showing the morph tool being used to create a custom curved window with moldings and other classical treatments. He would definitely have no problems in creating this complex building.

https://youtu.be/qnP-AWu9P4E

I know this house can be modelled in Archicad with less complications than Chief Architect but can anyone point me to a simpler solution than the one provided in the video or would we just have to follow the same procedure ?

The question is below:

“I need some help. I need to curve an object in two different planes. Is that possible in Chief Architect? I need to put and arch in a solid and then curve that solid around a curved wall. The circled object is what I need to curve along a curved wall, it already has an arch.”

976706C3-8D88-48BE-93F7-8DD0476DC70A.jpeg

AC8.1 - AC27 AC28TP ARM AUS + CI Tools
Apple Mac Studio M1 Max Chip 10C CPU
24C GPU 7.8TF 32GB RAM OS Sequoia
13 REPLIES 13

Great work, thanks DGS and then we just create a molding to go around it like Hmooslechner does in his excellent video below. 

mthd
Ace

Awesome work ! Hmooslechner. That’s the way to do it with the molding and it should also work on the top of the shape as in DGS’s picture as well.

I will see if can also do it in Archicad as well and I will post a picture here.

Thank you to all the ArchiMasters above and here for your help.

That is some excellent advice you got from two even more excelent Archicad users @mthd . Congratulations.

Also, these kind of answers should have their own forum category, something like "how to model this..." Which could be categorized even further 

mthd
Ace

Yes absolutely ! Over at the Chief Architect forum, they have put in a “Tips & Tricks” section.

That question above was from a visitor to CA forum who was probably looking for a software to use to model up the house above with his modifications. I wanted to introduce him to Archicad but he never replied.

I am not very proficient with more complex architecture in Archicad yet. I have only used it to produce working drawings for builder project homes so far.

So I appreciate all the professional help from the power users above.

PS: It would be very productive to be able to auto extrude a morph along a selected path or curved morph edge.

Edit: It can also be done right inside Chief Architect as well, by using what they call “Polyline Solids” and boolean operations. Although its harder work, it still can be done. Please see the video below.

https://youtu.be/Z10xd-ZkfgQ