Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Default "Save As" Location by project instead of global loc?

Gus
Newcomer
I work solo (not teamwork), so I save a lot of PLN files as backups each day.
I also work on multiple projects each day.

When I "save as" to make my backups, it always shows the last location that I used the "save as" command, regardless of the file I currently have open.

I would prefer it if ArchiCAD's "save as" function would recognize that I am using file "Project One" when I am working on "Project One," and "Project Two" when I'm working on "Project Two."

The reason I want this to happen is that I keep accidentally saving files in the last place I used the "save as" command regardless of the project, instead of the last place I used the "save as" command for this particular project.

Am I explaining this well?

Does anyone have a solution, or should I put this in the wishlist?
www.michaelgustavson.com Architect NY WI IL
Madison WI
Archicad21 MEP EcoDesSTAR Win10-64-bit
EliteBook8570W Corei7-3630QM@2.40GHz
QuadroK2000m RAM32 (2)250GBSSDs
4 Monitors Internet:4Up60Down
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Gus

I think this is not so much an Archicad problem as one relating to your operating system.

I discovered, after moving to a Mac, that this is the case with all 'save as' operations - and it drove me mad, constantly searching for files that had gone awol.

In the old days of PCs, you used to 'log on' to a driver, or folder, and then all operations, "save", "open" or whatever, happened in that folder. Like so many things, progress seems to have resulted in a backwards step.

I'm afraid I don't know what the answer is, except to get used to it, and keep checking what your 'save as' path is before you press 'save'.
Eduardo Rolon
Time to buy Default Folder X

http://www.stclairsoft.com/DefaultFolderX/
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator