cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Starting August 6, 2024, TLS 1.2 will be the minimum required protocol version for Graphisoft products and services that require an online connection. Learn more…
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Demolition Walls intersecting in Construction Views

Da3dalus
Enthusiast
Hi All,

I am having issues with some Interior Elevations in a Teamworked project in AC17. Phantom walls are showing up in the drawings. At first, I thought it was a bad setting in the IE tool, and I fought with that for a long time.

However, I've discovered that the Demolition Walls are actually creating intersections with the New Walls, in a Renovation Filter Set in which the Demolition Elements should be turned off ("RFO | CD Construction Plans") and set to not intersect!

When I look at the Drawing on the Layout, it shows the phantom walls. When I open the Source View, it SOMETIMES shows the phantom walls. If I toggle the Renovation Filter to something different, and back again, they disappear. Once the Source View looks right, I can Rebuild the Drawing, and it is correct. However, when I close and re-open the project, the phantom walls are back!

This is also apparent in the 3D view (the Demo walls were angled 45 degrees from the New). I would change the Layer Intersection Priority, but, as they should be, they are on the same Layer, separated by Renovation Filters!

I could set the elevations to manual update, but we are constantly changing them, so that would be inconvenient, and wouldn't solve the underlying problem.

Screen Shot 2013-10-21 at 3.10.08 PM.png
Chuck Kottka
Orcutt Winslow
Phoenix, Arizona, USA

ArchiCAD 25 (since 4.5)
Macbook Pro 15" Touchbar OSX 10.15 Core i7 2.9GHz/16GB RAM/Radeon Pro560 4GB
4 REPLIES 4
Da3dalus
Enthusiast
Attached is the screenshot of the 3D window showing Demo walls cutting through my project. If I fiddle with the Renovation Filter, they go away!
Screen Shot 2013-10-21 at 3.34.28 PM.png
Chuck Kottka
Orcutt Winslow
Phoenix, Arizona, USA

ArchiCAD 25 (since 4.5)
Da3dalus
Enthusiast
And also attached... the Renovation Filter settings for that Set.
Screen Shot 2013-10-21 at 3.21.19 PM.png
Chuck Kottka
Orcutt Winslow
Phoenix, Arizona, USA

ArchiCAD 25 (since 4.5)
Anonymous
Not applicable
I've attached a picture of my version of the problem which perhaps gives an insight into how to solve it. You can see that I have a wall with demolition status that is (SOMETIMES) eating away my timber treads, **BUT** it never affects the steel support material within the tread.

To me that suggests this is an issue with building material priority levels, but I can't test the theory because since taking the screencapture the problem has gone away again when I was experimenting with the layers (yes, it seems to be intermittent).

So what I'm going to try is to give the demolished wall a building material priority that is weaker than any new work it intersects, and see if the problem ever comes back again.
Demolished walls interacting with new elements.jpg
KeesW
Advocate
I think that it is an issue of priorities and junctions. AC is cursed with a very unintuitive method of making connections and many users have complained. Instead of making it easier, each version adds more options. Whilst this now makes it possible to correctly connect anything to anything else, it involves a lot of work. If your programming skills are fuzzy, a good template, prepared by someone who really understands this, is the easiest solution. Your copy of Archicad will hopefully include a template for your country. Doesn't this sort it out?
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU