Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Detail > Navigator linking

Bruce
Advisor
I have inherited a file that has somehow linked the Details from the Project Map into the Navigator. I don't know how it's been done and I'm trying to figure it out.

Has anybody else encountered this before (see image). They have also done the same for ceiling plans and sections/elevations. It changes the behaviour of the references as well somehow.

Navigator.JPG
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --
AC27 5003 INT Full | Windows 11 64 Pro | 12th Gen Intel i7-12700H 2.30 GHz | 64 Gb RAM | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 32 Gb
4 REPLIES 4
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Firstly, it should be known that a detail can have a source marker and linked markers, or no markers at all. A source marker is the original marker, the first one that was created for that detail. A linked marker is when the source marker is either copied (drag a copy) or when the source marker has been linked to a different marker, via the detail settings dialog. A detail with no marker is an independent detail, and they can be created by deleting the source marker, leaving just the detail window and it's contents (if any), or by creating an independent detail from scratch.

Secondly, it helps to understand the detail icons:

The ones at the top of your list show details that have their source markers on the floor plan. [Project-Based Floor Plan Detail]
The next ones show details that have their source markers in a section/elevation. [Project-Based Section/Elevation Detail]
The next one shows a detail whose source marker has been copied, and the original deleted. [Independent Detail with Marker]
The last ones show details that have no markers at all. [Independent Detail]

In the first two cases, you can find the source marker by right clicking on the detail in your Navigator/Organizer and selecting 'Select Detail marker on the Source view and zoom to it'.

In the third case, there is no source marker, just linked marker(s), so you can right click on it in your Navigator/Organizer and select 'Find Linked Markers...', which will bring up a dialog listing all the linked markers.

The fourth case has no markers, so there's nothing to find.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Link.
Bruce
Advisor
Thanks Link.

However, I already knew all that - my question is how did this particular folder (you will notice that it's not an ordinary folder, but some other icon) get into the Navigator, not the Project Map.

I have tried to duplicate it, i.e. create another one of this type, but I only know how to make new ordinary folders in the Navigator.

Any detail views that I save cannot be inserted into this subfolder - the only way I can do that is to select the detail in the Project Map and choose "Save View and place on Layout"...and then it will only work if it's a sourced detail, not an idependent detail.

I don't know how this was achieved.
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --
AC27 5003 INT Full | Windows 11 64 Pro | 12th Gen Intel i7-12700H 2.30 GHz | 64 Gb RAM | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 32 Gb
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Oh.

That folder is a clone. It means it is a direct copy of the details folder and should match it exactly. Any new details will be automatically added into the clone folder too. However, you can't delete anything from the clone folder, without deleting the whole folder!

To clone a folder, you can hit the 'Clone a Folder...' button at the bottom of your Navigator/Organizer pane, under the View Map. Pretty useless though if you ask me. It's all or nothing, so I prefer to create folders of views and just drag my viewpoints into it using the Organizer.

Hopefully some day we'll be able to clone viewsets.

Hope that was a better answer.

Cheers,
Link.
Bruce
Advisor
Ahhh, that would be it! I didn't know because I've never seen the need to "clone a folder".

I agree - I maintain much better control with normal folders.

Thanks for your help
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --