Due to a scheduled maintenance, a maximum 20 minutes license delivery outage may be expected on July 6 2024 (Saturday) between 6PM to 8PM (CEST).
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Dimension core of Composite wall in Section

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am "switching" over to using more Composite walls. I have set my Wood framing as the core in most cases. Dimensioning is a bit more tedious, but I am getting better.

In a Section view of a Composite wall the Default "live" pick points on the wall are the Outer skin no mater the "Core" settings. Is there a easy way to dimension to the core of composite walls (or floor, or roofs) in the Section window?

Composite wall in Section.JPG
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Jay,
I use composite walls quite a bit. So your post took me by surprise because I could not remember when I had tried to dimention to the core of a composite wall in section. I realized that I rarely do this. I was taught that it was bad form to dimension that kind of stuff in section. So maybe that's why it's not as easy, just because it is not done as much. Glad you are using the composites though. They can be very handy!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Melisa wrote:
... I was taught that it was bad form to dimension that kind of stuff in section. ..
Well, I was not taught, so that is my main "problem". I am engineer and while what we call the "pretty" pictures are important, and AC does a great job creating them, it is the Structural drawings that are of upmost importance. Dimensioning to anything other than the Core of a Composite or the outside of a 5.5" non-composite (single fill) wall would be bad form and truss manufacturer for one would not be happy (first of a line of unhappy people).
Melisa wrote:
Glad you are using the composites though. They can be very handy!
Yes, many seem almost evangelistic about these composites. Once I get all the view settings the way we like I think they will be an improvement. Still a bit of a challenge even when dimensioning even in Plan view though.
TomWaltz
Participant
I agree with the idea that MOST things should not be dimensioned in section (like say, beam layouts) because most contractors would not think to look there. There are a lot of things that only make sense to dimension in section, though.

The fact that you cannot snap to the skins of a composite in section seems so absurd that it almost has to be a bug.
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
TomWaltz wrote:
The fact that you cannot snap to the skins of a composite in section seems so absurd that it almost has to be a bug.
It has to be a bug, any one has reported it?
Joseph
Anonymous
Not applicable
If it is a bug, and not fixed before AC11 comes out in a few weeks, is it "dead-in-the-water". Will this "fix" cost me an upgrade price?
Karl Ottenstein
Joseph wrote:
TomWaltz wrote:
It has to be a bug, any one has reported it?
Ummm... what part of snapping to composite skins in section doesn't work for you guys? The mercedes cursor is indeed a snap...and appears anywhere along any skin.

Being "live" (associative) and with the possibility for 'core only' as Jay desires is different matter from snapping...

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.7, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes it is a "live" dimension node (the circle symbol, right), but also if not zoomed in close the "default" dimension snap selection honestly seems to be hit-or-miss in regards to the core. I would like to, of course, see it "live" to the core (think the Live dimension node only shows at the top an bottom to the wall at the outer skins), but I would like at least the default (non-zoomed in) dimension node be to the core.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Jay,
I think what Melisa was saying is that horizontal dimensions belong on horizontal drawings and vertical dimensions on vertical drawings. So the width of your composite wall should be done on a plan type drawing not a vertical section drawing. I don't think she is talking about pretty pictures just proper dimensioning technique. Maybe you will have better luck on a plan view.

Gary Bley
Portland, Oregon USA
Stress Co_
Advisor
Jay:
Do you off set the walls reference line?

If so, you should be able to dimension ("Live" - circle symbol) to the reference line... as well as the outer skin. BUT, you'll only find theRef line node at the bottom of the wall.
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.5 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)