cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
License Delivery maintenance is expected to occur on Saturday, October 19, between 4 and 6 PM CEST. This may cause a short 60-minute outage in which license-related tasks: license key upload, download, update, SSA validation, access to the license pool may not function properly. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Dimensions places in Core Only view

I want to add some dimensions to an elevation. The dimensions need to be to the core of the walls. In core only view of the elevations I can add the dimensions I want. However, when I switch the view back to display the finish materials the dimensions I just added will not display. Is there a way to display dimensions added in Core only view in other views too? I tried layers and copy/paste. No luck.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable
Steve,
I came across this problem on a previous project. I had a separate structural display setting for my concrete outline drawings and could not get my overall dimensions (such as grid dimensions) to appear on my concrete outline drawings and floor plan drawings. I had to dimension twice.

For this reason I have worked around using multiple structural display settings in current projects. I also found trace reference between plans with different structural display to be slow.

However, this was in ArchiCAD 12, there may have been major improvements since.
Karl Ottenstein
Steve wrote:
I want to add some dimensions to an elevation. The dimensions need to be to the core of the walls. In core only view of the elevations I can add the dimensions I want. However, when I switch the view back to display the finish materials the dimensions I just added will not display. Is there a way to display dimensions added in Core only view in other views too? I tried layers and copy/paste. No luck.
Unfortunately, no. Has always been this way "by design". Dimensions made in a 'partial structure display' mode are associated ONLY with that mode, regardless of layer. There have been various discussions here and in other forums about exactly what you've run into, Steve. It's frustrating to have to re-dimension.
One of the forum moderators
AC 28 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.7, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Steve

A workaround could be to place hotspots while in Core Only mode, switch pack to normal view and dimension to the hotspots. I know that's not going to update automatically, but gets you part way there.
Yes. That's what I have been doing. View core only, place hot spots

Also I like Tom's idea of using a trace reference with elevation. I had not thought of that.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Thanks Tom.

The trace reference thing works great. I saved a elevation view showing core only, then placed the dimension in the view entire model view.

I checked to see if the dimensions attached to the model correctly and they did. When I turn off the trace reference and move something, the dimension will change too. Works for me.

In the days before fracking came to be known as something equally bad, this 'feature' caused me to say 'frack' a lot. now i say 'frick'. no, wait, that's a great museum . . . . : - D
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-5060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.6
Anonymous
Not applicable
No Worries Steve,
I didn't realise the dimension would be associated with the trace reference. That's good.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Steve wrote:
Thanks Tom.

The trace reference thing works great. I saved a elevation view showing core only, then placed the dimension in the view entire model view.

I checked to see if the dimensions attached to the model correctly and they did. When I turn off the trace reference and move something, the dimension will change too. Works for me.
That's a bonus!
The dims are being attached to the things in the active view rather than the reference view, even when I put the reference view on top. It makes sense. Theoretically you could place the dims in the active elevation view with out the trace reference but it is too hard to hit/find the right node. Especially when you are working with lots of skins and perhaps corner boards or trim on top of that. All the trace reference does is help you hit the node your after the first time. Why it done not attach to the reference I am not sure. Perhaps there is some sort of priority? I suppose if you Tab, you could attach to the reference? I didn't try it.
Another thing that helps is to check the box in the Dimension Settings for Dimension only the Core of Walls and Slabs.