Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Door with complex curve - how to model?

JaredBanks
Mentor
Anyone have any advice on how to model this door (shown in red in the image)? I know how to make the custom door panel, but not how to put it in a frame that matches it. Also, I need to do it in v11.

Thanks.
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Archicad Blog: www.shoegnome.com
Archicad Template: www.shoegnome.com/template/
Archicad Work Environment: www.shoegnome.com/work-environment/
Archicad Tutorial Videos: www.youtube.com/shoegnome
5 REPLIES 5
Erika Epstein
Booster
One method would be to create the custom frame as a library part and then the door with the custom panel as you were thinking. I
the frame is just a static part, although you could edit the script to be parametric if inclined.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
TMA_80
Enthusiast
Hi!

AFAIK, It's not a custom door panel that you need to make; but a custom door like in this tutorial :

http://www.graphisoft.com/support/archicad/archiguide/customwindows.html
AC12_20 |Win10_64bit|
Anonymous
Not applicable
Don't think you need the tutorial as you've already successfully healed the wall.

Making the frame really depends on the frame you're trying to make. If it's simple i.e. made of flat stock, you can make it using slabs along with the door part or as a separate object if that's easier to manage.

If it's complex, try using a complex profile to create a wall following the outline of the opening. Use a wall to get the curve. Save the wall as a separate object. You will need to rotate the object vertically (rotx 90) get it in the correct orientation.
JaredBanks
Mentor
The door in the original image is all 2D, so no healing. The tutorial worked great. Thanks for everyone's help. I made the frame part of the door object and everything looks great. I had trouble with getting the hole right so I made a separate object that was the shape of the whole and copy and pasted the script from that to get the wallhole to act right.

two questions...
1) In elevation I've faked the open lines. Is it hard to add those as part of the object? I searched through an existing door object, but couldn't find it.

2) My 2D symbol is getting resized for some reason. The model measures the frame as 7 1/4" but the 2d symbol on the plan shows 7 1/8". The door leaf is also shortened. Any ideas? The actual 2d symbol in the object is correct.

Now time to build the next door.
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Archicad Blog: www.shoegnome.com
Archicad Template: www.shoegnome.com/template/
Archicad Work Environment: www.shoegnome.com/work-environment/
Archicad Tutorial Videos: www.youtube.com/shoegnome
JaredBanks
Mentor
Here's the 2D symbol
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects