Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Door with parallel sides in circular wall

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am trying to model a "medieval" tower in Archicad 11. But when I simply add a door to the circular wall, the sides of the door opening are not parallel to each other, but "vanish" towards the wall's center point. So, because the wall is very thick (around 3 metres), the door hole is significantly wider on the outside of the wall than on the inside.

How can I make a "rectangular" door in a circular wall? Thank you.

*Edit: It would be better to speak of a "tunnel" than a door.
30 REPLIES 30
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello Dwight,
Yes, I discovered the same thing. David Tauer sent me the international
version of the library and, as you say, DANG !.
Consequently, I find myself writing library parts to make openings
that have splayed reveals or have parallel sides in curved walls etc.
There has got to be a way to get around/transcend this nonsense.
Andy tried but I suspect that he did not succeed.
The author of this thread wants an opening with parallel sides in a curved wall.
I just edited a door object I made which is called "Empty Opening•"
to be able to have a parallel sided empty opening in a curved wall in 2D.

Do we have to write and offer to people lib parts that compensate for
the lack of consistency and support localized versions omit ?
Surely, the localizers know about these issues but they choose to ignore.
Graphisoft should get rid of them and get someone who can do the job.

Thanks Dwight for putting up with this rant,
Peter Devlin
Dwight
Newcomer
And your rant is really in the middle of the night on Saturday night. That is a REAL rant.

I am taking some action on the window issue.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Dwight,
I like talking with you.
Peter
Anonymous
Not applicable
manfredkooistra wrote:
Here's an outside view of an early version of the tower: manfredkooistra.deviantart.com/art/Page-24-47756988

The tower I build is from my imagination and only medieval-like. But there is some good documentation in archeological publications for some castles, usually the ones that are ruins today. Go to a university library and browse the archeological / historical publications. Don't forget the periodicals, they contain most of what you want.
Looks good!

You may be interested in a tower near where I live which has a similar feel to it overlooking the landscape.

Its called Alfred's Tower. It's a 50m high triangular tower built on a ridge overlooking Somerset. Absolutely stunning views at the top, after quite a climb up the spiral staircase in one of the corner towers!

It's in the middle of no-where and serves no function other than to be visible from all around. You get a good feel from google maps here. The flying nudy lady is not a common occurence round here though! (Although I will keep my eyes peeled!)
Peter wrote:
Thanks Dwight,
I like talking with you.
Peter
Oh, will you two get a room!
Andy Thomson
Advisor
The new consolidated library goes online this Friday - probably as a torrent so as not to cripple my server, I will announce it here: www.archicad.ca - for background on this project see here: http://www.archicad.ca/?p=75

As for the splayed windows - there are a bunch of niches in the GER library that are ALSO in the consolidated library that will do the trick (if you don't mind reading German). It is not a matter of INT vs. USA - but rather a different library for every country with good market share. ACE has consolidated INT/GER/USA libraries. There are a few others that I have yet to look at, namely the Swiss localization - which I hear is pretty good .... stay tuned...
Andy Thomson, M.Arch, OAA, MRAIC
Director
Thomson Architecture, Inc.
Instructor/Lecturer, Toronto Metropolitan University Faculty of Engineering & Architectural Science
AC26/iMacPro/MPB Silicon M2Pro
Anonymous
Not applicable
manfredkooistra wrote:
Dwight wrote:
And you just won't drop a cylindrical SEO down through the wall?
I guess by now you must have inferred that I am quite very new to ArchiCAD and 3D modelling in general. Thank you, Dwight. I will do that.

If you all ever come to Germany, let me know. I'll bake you a cake!
Still new myself, but I thought that SEO operations don't show up in plan - wouldn't that be the case here?

If so, what about a polygonal wall to create the circular opening?
Andy Thomson
Advisor
Try the niches and openings from the GER libraries for yourselves, uner Division 8 of the ACE Library - now available for download via torrent:

http://www.archicad.ca/?p=75

Enjoy! (That took almost 120 hours of my time, and involved many other people, such as Peter Devlin, who is also writing in this thread!)

PS - Thanks Peter!
Director
Instructor/Lecturer, Toronto Metropolitan University Faculty of Engineering & Architectural Science
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello Andy,
I don't know what I did but your welcome.
One question, are your ACE library parts
all saved in AC 11 format ?
Thanks,
Peter Devlin
Andy Thomson
Advisor
Peter,

They are loose parts in folders, many legacy parts in there. All of the GS parts are for AC11 - I believe you gave me a folder called 'possible contributions' a while back, I assumed they were your objects, as they had the initials PD in the titles... sound like you?

A
Director
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello Andy,
Yes those are my parts.
I am very glad that you left the version formats of all
the parts you have collected in their original format
because I am still in AC 10 and was worried that
you had saved everything in AC 11 format and
I would not be able to use any of them.
By the way, I have written three splayed opening
lib parts (in English), a rectangular splay opening,
an arch-head splay opening, and an ellipse-head
splay opening. Do you think that they might be
useful for those that don't read German ?
It had not occurred to me to include them in "possible contributions"
because I was sure that every one had tons of doors and
windows to contribute and were much better written than any
of mine.
Thanks,
Peter Devlin
Thanks,
Peter Devlin