cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Doors

Zdenko
Advocate

placed 2 types of doors in plan view in conjunction with log walls. the owner came back and wanted to add a 4' concrete decorative stone perimeter for the log walls to sit on. so now i have successfully placed conc. wall and log walls, however, now the doors don't cut through the conc. wall? not sure how to re-generate the door openings to show in the new conc. wall.

Operating system used: Mac Apple Silicon Sonoma 14.4.1

Archicad 27 5030 USA Full Apple
M3 Max 36GB MacBook Pro
iOS Sonoma 14.5
16 REPLIES 16
aarkell
Enthusiast

A door will only cut its host wall. Assuming it is still in the log wall (host wall), you could place an an empty door opening the same width as the door but only as tall as the concrete wall in the concrete wall. Or you could use the Opening tool. Alternatively, you could model the whole wall as a complex profile, but it sounds like you may be using the log wall tool so maybe that is best.

If the concrete base is only decorative on the outside face (not the whole thickness of the log wall), you could consider modeling it with the railing tool and a complex profile, or a beam and a complex profile, and just stop it on either side of the door, avoiding having to have two walls stacked on top of each other.

Andrew Arkell

AC 18-27 USA 4060
HP Z6 G4 Workstation | Intel(R) Xeon(R) Gold 6226R CPU @ 2.90GHz | Windows 10

thanks for getting back to me so soon. yes the log wall is the host wall and will give your ideas some thinking before diving. the opening tool sounds promising, but how do i make ensure the conc. wall is selected as the live element? unless this is something i have to do in 3d.

M3 Max 36GB MacBook Pro
iOS Sonoma 14.5

When you activate the door or opening tool to place in concrete wall, you should be able to hover over log wall and use the TAB key to cycle through overlapped elements. This is assuming the concrete wall is also visible in plan just hidden by the log wall which is on top. If it is not showing up, you can check to make sure it's projection settings are not set to "Cut Only". That would mean if your wall is shorter than your cut plane it won't show up.

Andrew Arkell

AC 18-27 USA 4060

ok let me try the "tab" since i am familiar with that. currently the conc. wall seems to dictate in the view and that may make it easier. will let you now shortly.

M3 Max 36GB MacBook Pro
iOS Sonoma 14.5

ok this is what it shows now with what i changed in the settings. not sure how to get rid of the jambs?

Untitled.pngUntitled 2.png

M3 Max 36GB MacBook Pro
iOS Sonoma 14.5

Oops. I told you empty door opening, but if you use "Rectangular Door Opening" it won't have any trim.

Andrew Arkell

AC 18-27 USA 4060

🙂 ok let me find that and will report back.

M3 Max 36GB MacBook Pro
iOS Sonoma 14.5

well getting closer but can't seem to re-select to adjust? it is a 4'x4' so not sure why it did not cut thru correctly. tried the tab key to cycle through both in 2d and 3d no luck. will try again now that you have given me some insight.

Untitled.png

M3 Max 36GB MacBook Pro
iOS Sonoma 14.5

I wouldn't add a second empty door in the concrete wall (although you can.

I would use the opening tool.

It can even be placed in a 3D view and stretched to suite the door.

BarryKelly_0-1713596737217.png

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Setup info provided by author