Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Escape Key not working

Anonymous
Not applicable
My Escape key has stopped working. This only happens in Acad 11, not in Acad 10.

Can it be reactivated under 'Preferences' somewhere?

Keith
Archicad 11 on Mac 0SX ver 10.4.8
10 REPLIES 10
__archiben
Booster
Keith wrote:
My Escape key has stopped working. This only happens in Acad 11, not in Acad 10.
this has been happening to me since AC9 i think. ESC and DEL stop working intermittently - and for no obvious reason. the only cure is to restart archicad i'm afraid.

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
~/archiben wrote:
Keith wrote:
this has been happening to me since AC9 i think. ESC and DEL stop working intermittently - and for no obvious reason. the only cure is to restart archicad i'm afraid.

~/archiben
Or, while your archicad is still open... try clicking on your 'active' archicad's shortcut..(mine is located on the dock...others may have theirs on the desktop screen). It somehow 'refreshes' the whole window environment, especially if you tend to navigate in and out of your archicad window to do other tasks... its worth a shot, it helped me a few times.

I used this technique on a mac....haven't tried it on win XP... yet.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks guys.

It came back just as mysteriously as it went.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Spoke too soon. Now it's happening all the time.

I'm seriously considering going back to release 10, since the advantages of new features in rel 11 are outweighed by not having the function of the Escape Key.

Keith

Archicad 11 on Mac OSX 10.4.8
Anonymous
Not applicable
I guess if I were in your shoes....I'd troubleshoot from the simplest possibilities and go complex from there. I'd start by checking if the esc key works in other applications (if not then its a keyboard problem)....2nd step would just go ahead and uninstall archicad....restart and reinstall.

I'd also check to see if your Mac OS is up to date.....latest to my knowledge is 10.4.10.
Anonymous
Not applicable
The escape key works in every other context, including Archicad Rel 10.

I'll take your advice, thanks and try reinstalling.

- K
TomWaltz
Participant
I'd also ask how you're switching Apps. If you click on them on the Dock, sometimes keyboard control is still at the previous App., making it look like keys (and mouse zoom) don't work.

If you use Command-Tab, Mac switches full control and it's much happier
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
Okay. I've closed down all other apps. Rebooted. Opened Release 11.
Escape key still doesn't work (except, oddly, in Text Edit mode). Only way to abort a command is to finish it and then undo. Pain in the neck!

Opened Release 10. Everything works perfectly.

Must be a bug in Release 11, surely?

Keith

Release 11, on Mac OSX 10.4.8
__archiben
Booster
Keith wrote:
Escape key still doesn't work (except, oddly, in Text Edit mode). Only way to abort a command is to finish it and then undo. Pain in the neck!
just as a matter of interest: if you go into your work environment>keyboard shortcuts and try to assign the ESC key to a command - any old command - what does it tell you?

(it shouldn't do anything, but it's the only non-bug issue i can think of that might explain: the ESC key has been assigned to a non-global command.... it's a long shot)

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup