Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Exclusive Access Functions

kevin b
Contributor
Is there a list that clearly outljines which functions in AC10 teamwork file require you to be signed in as Team Leader and with Exclusive Access?

Thought I had them all down in 9 but now with the layout book in 10 there seems to be some problems and Im not sure if its a bug or a "feature." The problem is arising when trying to modify some autotext and the project info it relates too, in a master layout. Someone signed in as Team Leader but not with exclusive access made some changes to the Master Layout but when plotted the changes did not "stick" This of course led me to think it might be an exclusive access issue but could not find a definitive list of what those things might be. In Help all I could find was a reference to "some attribute modifications are permitted only with exclusive access to the Project" but it doesn't tell you what those "some" things are.
kevin s burns, AIA

massachusetts, usa

AC25 (1413), since AC6

Windows 10

Intel Core i7 -8700 @ 3.2 GHz~ 16 GB ram
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable
bump - anyone? we're having the same questions - AC10 seems more restrictive than AC9 in terms of what a non-exclusive team leader can do. frustrating!
TomWaltz
Participant
There are some things like Schedules and Project Info that do require Exclusive Access.

I'm REALLY happy that anyone can add views to the project, though!

The User Manual makes mention of several tasks that require Exclusive Access, but not all in one place... there is no clean list like there is for other sign-in roles.
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
GS really ought to publish a definitive list. It is not reasonable to expect that we will all just figure it out for ourselves.
TomWaltz
Participant
Matthew wrote:
GS really ought to publish a definitive list. It is not reasonable to expect that we will all just figure it out for ourselves.
Why start documenting features now? 😉
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
TomWaltz wrote:
Matthew wrote:
I couldn't be in this business if I weren't perpetually optimistic.
TomWaltz
Participant
Matthew wrote:
TomWaltz wrote:
Matthew wrote:
I'd call the idea of GS not documenting VERY optimistic.... especially for training consultants 😄
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
TomWaltz wrote:
Matthew wrote:
TomWaltz wrote:
I'd call the idea of GS not documenting VERY optimistic.... especially for training consultants 😄
Maybe it is self defeating but I have never subscribed to the Microsoft model of endlessly expanding IT budgets. Or, in other words, "Make it really complicated and they will keep coming back for more and more and more..."
Erika Epstein
Booster
Tom,
Whatever happened to that book on Teamwork you were going to write?
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
oooh - now there's an idea. a teamwork book! this board probably needs a separate teamwork forum to boot.

<ok, i'm ranting now - I'll stop in a minute..>

the whole teamwork concept requires one to *almost* completely re-think how architects traditionally think about their documentation needs. I'm not complaining, necessarily, just thinking out loud that such a paradigm shift might engender a few helpful.... er... flowcharts... or.... procedures... or the taking of our collective hands by the authors of this software. teamwork needs to be approached very, very, carefully! lots and lots of planning required before wading in - or a frustrating mess is the result. *especially* with a team of other architects in the room that need to pick up uh... pencils... mice... and get some good work done.

the "no drafting, only modeling" mantra I embrace, understand, and strive for. but on a practical level I sometimes feel that I may as well be training a room full of people to be an odd combination of bean-counting-higher-math-virtuoso-musicians given the level of skill and knowledge of the software required... all the tweaky toggles that need to be properly adjusted before anyone even begins work. and THEN... just when you think you've got it... we discover we're locked out of some crucial tweak in the settings so everyone takes a coffee break while the one or two people who really get it make the adjustments in views or whatever.

hence the need for templates... standards... procedures... deep knowledge of the manual. we *do* like the improvements in AC10 over previous versions... but still... sometimes we wish someone would throw us a bone...

<OK I feel better now>

Lep