Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Exterior Walls

Anonymous
Not applicable
I was wondering what to do with exterior walls when modeling.

In a 2 story building or more can I do a wall that goes to the last floor. So when I move it in any floor on the others floors it moves also? is this a stupid question because everyone is doing like this?

Now with the Floor Plan Display it makes it possible.

Right?
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable
You can do that and if you move the wall on one floor, it will move on the other since it's the same wall. I don't do it that way, proably because I never have in other software and I do end up with walls that don't line up floor to floor anyway so I don't know what potential issues there are.

You would have to make sure it was set to be visible on more than the home story and that the floor plan cut plane worked properly.
TomWaltz
Participant
It's pretty easy to do... you just set the wall to be the total height you want and make sure the story settings are set to "Automatic" and "On Relevant Stories"

I tend to make mine profiled walls with consistent sheathing going all the way up, stud top plates, a gap for the floor truss, then the next floor bottom plate.
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
Tom, i use always cement blocks with plaster and concrete estructure and slabs. So its possible to make my walls all the way up?

When we calculate the surface of walls it reduces the part that intersects the structure, righ?

Chris, thats my problem having walls not aligning in the floors below.

Thanks guys...
Anonymous
Not applicable
Seems to me, you should model it the way you would build it. If the wall is built 2 stories in height from foundation then, model it that way. You can use the trace reference to align walls from story to story otherwise.

As far as quantity take offs on walls that are broken by floor plates and the cladding extends down over the floor plate. You can do this my creating a wall profile with appropriate fills and then get quantity information by creating materials and descriptors from the fills. (I'm learning about this from the book Archicad From CAD to quantity survey, a worthwhile purhase)

Sincerely,